Slapped by T blondi/burgundy...

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Talk about getting your heart pumping!

Here's the story:
When I got to my classroom this morning I went straight to Precious to check on her and see how settled in over the weekend. I very much expected her to still be sitting at the base of her tube. To my surprise, she was out by her water dish all the way on the other side of her enclosure (about 30" from her tube).
I admired her for a bit, then noticed a large number of isopods had drown in her large water dish. There is a large rock in the dish, but I had place it in the center. I decided I should move the rock next to the edge of the dish so the isopods could escape the dish when they fell in.
I carefully slid the lid open, so as not to disturb Precious. I reached down to grab the rock (need I remind you, Precious is sitting at the edge of the water dish). As soon as I touched the rock, SLAAAAPP!!! Precious gave me a solid slap with her two front legs, I felt her tarsal claws drag against my skin as she pulled back, and immediately assumed a threat pose. Surprisingly, I did not jerk my hand out of the enclosure, but I did pull it back toward the end of the tank against the glass, about 3" from where it was.
My heart is pounding just writing this.
If she had wanted to she could have easily sank her huge fangs deep into the soft tissue between my thumb and index finger.
My error? Up to this point all my interactions with her had been at the LPS, where she had always been very lethargic, and sedate. I had worked around her in this manner many times before with absolutely no reaction from her wahtsoever. I think she may have been to cold, and too dry, in the LPS. Now, her enclosure measures 80F on the warm end and 68F on the cool end. I believe the warm temps revitalized her.
I can assure you, I will never reach into her house again without the 10" tongs. Lessoned learned.
Forget the venom, those ~1.5" scare the heck out of me.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hehe just read this elsewhere and good story Schoolman..

It's nice the teacher became the student eh? ;)

Best of luck with her..

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My big Earthtiger was docile when I got her. I got to pet her,take her photo, etc. But when I reached into her new home... she barely missed me. I think it was as much "this is MY SPACE" as anything else. Possibly the same happened with Precious.

Marga

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Ahhh dont be afraid, her fangs are only what like an inch or so long? hehehehe

(That was a joke)

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have one question! What side of the tank was she on? The warm side or cold side?

Sounds like she is doing alot better with you. :D Glad your telling us here and not in the bite reports! :cool:

I have a little story thats similar to yours. My LPS had a 7" T. sp "burgundy" for sale. I asked them if i could check it out to see the sex. So we opened up the shallow plastic breeder tank she was in while on the floor. I used a pen to brush her back leg and WHAM!!! She spun around and tried to tag me and went into a threat bearing her fangs. This was the first time I had interacted with a Theraphosa this big. I had the same "heart pounding out of my chest" adrenaline coursing through my veins. For at least 2 minutes. I think that made me like her even more! :razz: She was definetly a girl! :}

I tried to offer the owner a trade but he had no idea the value of what i was offering. He ended up calling me a month later wanting the trade but i had traded those things to another LPS for a nice female P. ornata to go with my penultimate male P. ornata. They only wanted 120$ for her but she was gone when i had the cash. :wall:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ahhh dont be afraid, her fangs are only what like an inch or so long? hehehehe
(That was a joke)
She could have left a nice gage in my hand for future jewelry.

Pics of said fangs?
Jay, you come over and palm her for me while I get a get a good macro pic. ;)
p.s. be sure you ask her politely.

I have one question! What side of the tank was she on? The warm side or cold side?
They only wanted 120$ for her but she was gone when i had the cash. :wall:
The heat is at the right rear corner, and she was sitting at the right front corner in front of the water dish. Just where she was this morning. She was in a posture that looked like she was basking in the humidity; leaning to one side and holing legs 1 and 2 up in the air.

Too bad you missed out on her. That would have been a pretty good deal. Maybe next time.