Skinny Psalmo hoarding uneaten food.

Jake94

Arachnopeon
So I have a few Psalmo's I ordered several months back. All of them except one are doing very well. The other one is really skinny, but otherwise acts fine. I rehoused him after I realized how skinny he/she was. Before that, it had stayed mostly out of sight for several weeks, but the crickets were disappearing so I figured it was fine. Well when I did the rehouse I found the rotting remains of 2 or 3 dead crickets, which had been webbed over repeatedly. Since then I've been watching him closely, and taking any food out if it hasn't been eaten after two days. I'm making sure to keep his water dish full, as he does like to drink from it, which gives me some hope. Here's a really bad picture of him from just after the rehouse. You can see how skinny the abdomen is - http://imgur.com/a/4xFvf

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can provide suggestions. My room stays around 77, which I know could be warmer, but my T's are on the side with my two lizards so I think they stay a bit warmer from the lamps and heat pads (no direct exposure though). I control the temperature with a space heater. Thanks!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Mine all grow like weeds at 70-74 degrees but I keep it on the humid side too. Is it possible they were killed and webbed prior to a molt? I have seen them kill prey when in heavy premolt and secure them, maybe not so much for later consumption but to prevent the prey from becoming the predator during a molt. maybe kick up the humidity to see if its appetite increases.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
maybe kick up the humidity to see if its appetite increases.
I've been screaming this from the rooftops lately. I lost a few slings before realizing just how much my heater was drying out the room. Once the humidity got bumped, they all began eating like fiends.

cold blood

Staff member
Pic looks like a typical post molt abdomen....ive seen them so small it was amazing.

Speculation, but could it have just partially eaten those meals and then molted....and now just isnt quite ready to eat yet. Have you noticed a size increase...its usually pretty dramatic with psalms.

Your temps are just fine, no worries at all there.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've been screaming this from the rooftops lately. I lost a few slings before realizing just how much my heater was drying out the room. Once the humidity got bumped, they all began eating like fiends.
thanks, thats probably why my Lasiodora slings stopped hitting like trucks.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
My P. irminia does that sometimes. She'll just tag them then let them sit around and go eat later. Not surprising though...that kid has an attitude.

Jake94

Arachnopeon
I'll try this, thanks!

Jake94

Arachnopeon
Pic looks like a typical post molt abdomen....ive seen them so small it was amazing.

Speculation, but could it have just partially eaten those meals and then molted....and now just isnt quite ready to eat yet. Have you noticed a size increase...its usually pretty dramatic with psalms.

Your temps are just fine, no worries at all there.
That could be the case, that he's just not ready to eat them yet. I'm going to pick up the humidity and just keep offering him food and taking away carcasses.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Same here. Even my Gbb are hovering over their waterdishes sometimes :eek:. And my T.violaceus only comes out after generously overflowing her waterdish and wetting the sides of her enclosure.