Size question

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
Hi guys and gals

Was wondering.if you put a 7.5cm terrestrial sp. in 10 gallon tank would it do ok or would it struggle

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's doable, but keep in mind to make it completely safe in that enclosure, you'd have to add enough substrate that it was no more than 11cm or so from the top.

It'd be easier to use something much smaller (3 DLS width X 2 DLS length floorspace is considered ideal), and keep the 10 gallon around for when it grows up, or simply buy a larger spider for it!:D

What Tarantula are you getting?

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
I have a fire leg.the question wasn't for me but that is what she was housed in wen I bought her from the pet store.I was just wondering because I read that they do well in proportionally sized enclosures but it's hard to find any discussions bout small t's in big enclosures.I suppose if you make it safe like u said and make sure they get their food they should b ok.wat you guys think?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I have a fire leg.the question wasn't for me but that is what she was housed in wen I bought her from the pet store.I was just wondering because I read that they do well in proportionally sized enclosures but it's hard to find any discussions bout small t's in big enclosures.I suppose if you make it safe like u said and make sure they get their food they should b ok.wat you guys think?
Never trust a pet store.

A tarantula will be perfectly fine in a large enclosure, provided you make sure it can find it's food, and it's safe and all that. It's just not very practical and can present some unforeseen problems (loosing a small sling in a large enclosure, food items evading capture, height issues with terrestrials, taking up valuable space that can be used for keeping more tarantulas, etc.).

Getting a smaller enclosure just simplifies things and makes thigs easier.