Size DOES matter

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And it matters because I am doing some rehousing soon and I wants to make sure the enclosure I get is the right size for my H. himilayana? How big do they get and what sized enclosure should I get? Tanks peeps.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I dont own this species but I believe their common name is "earth tiger" or something like that. So I would assume 6" or so.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
H. Himilayana can get respectably big from what I know, 6"+
They are relatively unrepresented species meaning not many people have them/have had them.

From what I've researched and observed from my own specimen (about 4" currently, raised from less than 1") they are very reclusive burrowers that prefer humid conditions. I keep mine damper than a cyriopagopus lividum but not quite as wet as theraphosa sp.
They grow relatively quickly and seem to gain pretty substantial size with each molt, and eat pretty well, just very hard to track pre molt since they spent their entire time underground.
In the last 6 months that I've had this guy I think I've seen it less than 10 times. That's how much they value privacy.

So I sugest layering the bottom of your two be enclosure with sphagnum moss, than give about 6"-8" of sub. Preferably top soil or eco earth's jungle mix, since Coco fiber doesn't hold moisture well at all.
Keep a sizable water dish filled and overflow it every couple days to keep the moss at the bottom damp.

Really beautiful species when you get to see them. They remind me of m. balfouri in some ways.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Update:
I actually don't know that they get as big as I originally thought I think 4.5-5" is about adult/max for these guys. Once I did my specimen up for their rehouse next week I'll have to get an accurate measurement and try to sex the bugger

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Which is? 5-6"??
More or less imagine a bit less than the average, and female, 'Haplo'. More or less, uh, because I'm not so good with inches when it comes to T's size, sorry my friend :)

They aren't lovely giants like a Goddess, not little buggers as well like the dwarf ones. Like a female C.fimbriatus, cm more cm less?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok cool. 5 gallon tank it shall be for the little guy, once it is big enough of course. Thx ppl!

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
More or less imagine a bit less than the average, and female, 'Haplo'. More or less, uh, because I'm not so good with inches when it comes to T's size, sorry my friend :)

They aren't lovely giants like a Goddess, not little buggers as well like the dwarf ones. Like a female C.fimbriatus, cm more cm less?
2.54 cm to an inch to 5" = 12.7cm