Six weeks secluded...Help?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Both my of my theraphosa's will be in their burrows for many, many weeks after a molt. Longer than any of my other tarantulas. Just be patient, it will be out when its ready.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
Both my of my theraphosa's will be in their burrows for many, many weeks after a molt. Longer than any of my other tarantulas. Just be patient, it will be out when its ready.
Thanks! Do you do anything different for the environment when it is holed up?

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
T Blondi? In any case, your T knows what's best for itself. Not seeing our T can easily make us nervous and assume the worst, but barricading themselves is completely normal. My advice is to leave it be and let it emerge on its own terms. Worst case is to disturb it while molting...

When my slings are holed up, I drop pre-killed prey in front of the burrow and remove it 2 days later, if it's not eaten. Also, I keep the water dish full. For a grown T, I would only keep the water dish full and tend to any special requirements, such as moisture.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Most Theraphosa blondi sold are mislabeled Theraphosa stirmi and the real Theraphosa blondi is very expensive. But the care for both of them are the same so no worries. In your case, the T. knows what is best for itself and you're going to have to wait until it comes out. So nothing really much to worry about.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
She has been hunkered in for 6 weeks now. When should I check on her? Big female Blondi...
"When you smell decay".
Yes, seriously - when a t barricades the entrance to its hide, consider that a "do not disturb" sign, keep the water dish full and with a stirmi/blondi/etc keep the moisture up, otherwise let it be. You can offer food periodically, but take the prey out if not eaten in 24 hrs. Basically it's just your tarantula doing tarantula things. She knows how to spider much better than you do.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
Most Theraphosa blondi sold are mislabeled Theraphosa stirmi and the real Theraphosa blondi is very expensive. But the care for both of them are the same so no worries. In your case, the T. knows what is best for itself and you're going to have to wait until it comes out. So nothing really much to worry about.
Thanks for your response. I have owned Red Legs, Fire Lags, Zebra striped, pink toes, and a big female King Baboon over the years. This is the first "Blondi" I have owned. I got it about 3 months ago and it is about 6" or so. I fed it well to fitten her up some and she holed up about 6 weeks ago. I paid 145.00 dollars. I do not know the difference between the two. This one does not have "boots". I will post a picture if she ever comes out!

"When you smell decay".
Yes, seriously - when a t barricades the entrance to its hide, consider that a "do not disturb" sign, keep the water dish full and with a stirmi/blondi/etc keep the moisture up, otherwise let it be. You can offer food periodically, but take the prey out if not eaten in 24 hrs. Basically it's just your tarantula doing tarantula things. She knows how to spider much better than you do.
Thanks! There is no funny smell emanating! I have not offered any food since she holed. She was voracious before she burrowed up. She loves nightcrawlers!!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I just had a Hapalopus sp. Colombia klein adult just come out alive and well after being holed up for somewhere between 4 and 8 months (it's been so long I honestly can't remember). And my G. pulchripes spent 3 months in hiding when she was still just a sling. So I'd say six weeks is not even remotely a concern.

Huckleberry

Arachnopeon
I just had a Hapalopus sp. Colombia klein adult just come out alive and well after being holed up for somewhere between 4 and 8 months (it's been so long I honestly can't remember). And my G. pulchripes spent 3 months in hiding when she was still just a sling. So I'd say six weeks is not even remotely a concern.
Wow! Thanks for the feedback!