Sitar my P. regalis

captmarga

Arachnobaron
So my co-worker (who has been fab at helping me rehouse, feed and water the Ts) says, "I have one question... why is Sitar on his back?"

He's MOLTING! My first pokey molt (P. regalis). Fingers crossed for him. I've made sure his cage is humid. He's in his webbed hide, a long silk tube. Now I don't want to go to my dance lesson tonight, but I know he won't be done in an hour and a half. :-(

I'll keep photographing as long as I can. Hopefully tomorrow he'll have a new suit to show off!

Marga

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grats ..

If I may ask, what is the white powder in the lower left of the image in the enclosure?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Grats ..

If I may ask, what is the white powder in the lower left of the image in the enclosure?
Calcium sand under the substrate. He never gets on the floor, though. He stays under his cork bark hide. He was in a plastic spice jar when I got him, so his new cage is 20 times bigger than that. He doesn't seem to care.

But he's done, turned over, and grooming!!!

Marga

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Calcium sand under the substrate. He never gets on the floor, though. He stays under his cork bark hide. He was in a plastic spice jar when I got him, so his new cage is 20 times bigger than that. He doesn't seem to care.

But he's done, turned over, and grooming!!!

Marga
Glad he made it out safe.. Grats on the molt.. Can you tell if he might be a MM?

As far as the calcium sand.. As soon as he hardens up.. I would suggest removing it.. The only substrate needed in his enclosure would be either coco fibers or peat... You dont need anything else mixed in with it either..

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Glad he made it out safe.. Grats on the molt.. Can you tell if he might be a MM?

As far as the calcium sand.. As soon as he hardens up.. I would suggest removing it.. The only substrate needed in his enclosure would be either coco fibers or peat... You dont need anything else mixed in with it either..
I've only had him a couple of weeks... Not sure how to tell if he's mature unless they also get hooks. Need him for a breeding loan?

Marga

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've only had him a couple of weeks... Not sure how to tell if he's mature unless they also get hooks. Need him for a breeding loan?

Marga
Yes he will have hooks.. An easier way to tell if he is a MM.. Look at his palps.. Do they look swollen?

If he is a MM.. I could do a breeding loan with you.. :) My girl is 5.5" maybe close to 6".. :D

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Yes he will have hooks.. An easier way to tell if he is a MM.. Look at his palps.. Do they look swollen?

If he is a MM.. I could do a breeding loan with you.. :) My girl is 5.5" maybe close to 6".. :D
Too soon to tell on him being mature. I'll look in the next couple of days. If he is, sure, I see no problem. But I don't think he's more than 4" at best.

Marga

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Awesome congrats on the molt! I'm still thinking about getting a few regalis myself

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Well, he has surprised me at every term. Wasn't expecting molt. He's bigger than he was, but not sure that he's mature. And he apparently was hiding a cricket for a snack, as he is contently munching one at the moment.

Marga

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Marga
Poecilotheria do not have hooks.:)

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Thanks Robc. I'll just have to watch for him making sperm webs, I guess. Tommy is only a couple of hours a way, so we can plan a quick elopement for the Ts if we need to.

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
My apologies for the wrong information Marga..
No worries! I'm still learning about pokies. I never wanted one before, I thought they were not-tarantula looking enough. I'd always had the big, slow fuzzy outline in my head, and the pokey stance was "weird". But with the internet... and time...

My husband would have never set foot in my office again. He was fine with one (in the cage ALWAYS) but 16...

Marga