singapore blue sexing

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hi everyone,
i recently bought a singapore blue and a few days later he/she moulted. now iv heard the stories about sexing by their colouration the older they get, they say if it ever shows distinct blue, it is a female. however, if it remains a brown/grey colour it is male. now im no expert on sexing by moult, but after 45 minutes of tediously trying to find any kind of flap between the 1st pair of book lungs has so far turned up nothing despite warm soapy water, but the blue that he/she is showing is awesome, a real difference. i would say it is now around 3.5"-4" leg to leg and has not yellowed, greened or grown any emboli/tibial hooks. im just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it, i will try to get some pics of the 't' loaded on here but as for the moult, my camera is my phone lol and it looks a blurry mess when i snap it. thanks!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It very well could be an immature male at that size.They do not change colors till the ultimate molt,and they are larger than 4 inches when mature......Get us a ventral pic if possible...

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
its this fone camera :( thats the best it wil do. Thanks fo the help i realy think it is by the moult too

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
take a look at the substrate in your last pic, its in focus. You need to draw back a little rather than get so close, the pic might not be so big as a result but it will be in focus.

A far more accurate way to sex is via the moult. Could you get a pic of inside the moult, females of this species have very pronounced spermatheca.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
At that size it is probably a female but no guarantees.

A decent pic of the inside of the molt could be conclusive.
A pic just like the first one but showing all of the first front legs would also give decent idea.

What is it holding in that first pic?

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm

tougf one to call id say dont scratch your brain out get a good molt and sex it that way one of my girls looked male ventrally untill they were 5''

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i will try and get a good shot later and upload. Thanks for the replies. Its not 'holding' that, its a wet ball of tissue i coaxed it onto, i figured she needed a drink after the moult but it refused any type of water (dish or ball) he/she has lost so much weight during the moult its unbelievable. Not leaning towards thinking it was a wet moult, but the abdomen has quartered in girth. Temprament wise.....calm and docile like an emilia! Never seen a singapore like it, you coax it, it will go right where you want it. I wouldnt say its dehydrated, it just moves gently, no loss of hydraulic pressure whatsoever. Im not banking on the calm temprament being a permanent characteristic tho, im sure the evil nature will ensue soon :evil: