Singapore blue sexing question

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok heres the thing, i know there are debates over this but I wanna get some input. Some people say that when singapore blues color up young, the are males, others say female.

Between beetleman and myself, we have 3 smallish ones- two of them are between 1.5 and 2 inches and are showing color. The other is about 3.5 inches and still brown. Whats what here? Whos male and who's female?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Males are supposed to stay a brownish-green color. Female start turning blue sometime (I know, vague, but I can only generalize. I've only got one.). The female I've got was blue when I bought her at about 2" or so but now, at about 4", it's really starting to show. Should be plenty of pics and info in the "Tarantula Pictures" forum for you to sift through (particularly in the Genus Cyriopagopus thread).

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is no way to distinguish them until they get some size as they are about the same color unless you can sex a molt.

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
from what i heard and read, females r the only ones that get blues and males stay without blue. i have a singapore blue i assume female at 4-5cm showing a bit of blue. i have another large sling that might be a male.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Males and females will both get blue as they get bigger. The males upon ultimate molt will turn green while the females will continue to get blue. The underside of the males will be lighter, greenish from ~2" and up, while the females will be much darker. I have had a couple males that are very nice blue up until the ultimate molt. Comparing them to a female of the same size the was no difference on the dorsal side, the ventral side was different as I mentioned above.

mike

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is confusing as experts in here at UK says only females get blue at a certain size and males of these dont get any blue at all. can someone clear this up as it was proven in here only females of this shows blue and males never.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think its hear say. im in uk but mainly use net as a teacher. il read wot i can, tbh i wud trust it than a individuals opinion, jaut because beleifs vary. net if u amalgamate the results, you will get the best advice, tbh no where better than right here. on these boards!

some dude i know was trying to tell me that centipedes are venomous not only in the fangs, but the terminal legs..and their hair was highly potent.. hmm... well its a shame such floklore and 'bull' exists, this guy did have a genuine interest in inverts, but probably is completely put off for these reasons.

Definately blue til ultimate molt, i vdnt c a diff personally..tho i never really studied how diamorphic they are til ad.
lol, they dont sound like experts if they are so sure.
although i have none now, i raised a load of em to sub, and 2 til ad..only got 1 now.. i sold them btw

RichardG

Arachnopeon
Hey, don't knock the advice until you've read this {D ;)
Gallon, R. & Gabriel, R. 2006. Breeding and maintaining Cyriopagopus species in captivity. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 22 (1): 16–30.

For the record we don't consider ourselves "experts", but we have both bred this species several times and reared many spiderlings of both sexes to maturity (side-by-side) - and sexed them from moults to confirm our observations.

Is it possible the "metallic blue" we were talking about is being confused with post-moult "powder blue" coloration :? Even a Brachypelma vagans can look blue after a moult...
Cheers,
Richard

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive seen quite a few of these now, and ALL the males Ive seen had a blue tint as babies, but they lost it as juveniles. They then started to turn more brown and then at ultimate molt got that greenish brown color. Females had the blue tint leaning more towards a purplish color, and then turning into the vibrant blue as they grew larger.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wish color was a sure-fire way of sexing juvies... i have a 2"+ who keeps shredding molts and hides (so no ventral shots). it's a darker blue-black, but still has abdominal stripes. :wall:

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, don't knock the advice until you've read this {D ;)
Gallon, R. & Gabriel, R. 2006. Breeding and maintaining Cyriopagopus species in captivity. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 22 (1): 16–30.

For the record we don't consider ourselves "experts", but we have both bred this species several times and reared many spiderlings of both sexes to maturity (side-by-side) - and sexed them from moults to confirm our observations.

Is it possible the "metallic blue" we were talking about is being confused with post-moult "powder blue" coloration :? Even a Brachypelma vagans can look blue after a moult...
Cheers,
Richard
Wiill re-read this this very second.. lol
I tihnk you hold fair to be considered an expert, you play a very important part for this hobby, your words holds much weight when it comes to Ts, i guess i shudda seeked out the sources! *whistles*;) lol
Though i havent ever noticed a diff as i said. *Its always been most noticeable on the fore-legs. its never been strong but noticable in natural lighting*

Last edited:

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The males will still have some brown but this was one of my juvenile males.

Thanks,
mike

Attachments

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
In my humble experience they show blue until the ultimate molt. I have 6 juvies right now, all blue, but I am sure there are some boys in there!