Singapore Blue Red Spot?

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Hey, I don't have too much experience with tarantulas, and I just noticed something on the Singapore Blue I got about a week ago that has me concerned... This is an adult female, and she appears to have some sort of red flesh showing between her leg and cephalothorax? I'll post a picture, but it's kind of confusing. Basically, it looks like her leg is bleeding where it's connected to the cephalothorax. Is that just how it's supposed to be?
In the picture, she's sitting upside down on the wall, her abdomen at the top of the picture. I'm sure you'll see where the red is. And yes, I did brighten the photo a bit and play with the effects a little to make the red more obvious.

Last edited:

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Hmm... I've never seen anyting like that... I hope it's not serious.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can ease your mind on one point. Tarantula "blood" is called haemolymph and it isn't red, so that definitely isn't blood. When you said "red spot" I was thinking a mite or something, but that definitely isn't it either.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Yeah, me too!

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Yeah? Okay, thanks! I guess I'll just wait and see if anything happens with it!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like damage from a bad molt. Probably not anything to worry about. Certainly nothing you can do anything about anyhow.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My crayfish get spots like that when they damage their exoskeleton a bit by their bumping around all the time. It's gone in the next molt. It could possibly be a similar occurrence that happens in Ts though I've never seen a tarantula with a spot like that.

Arachnos

Arachnopeon
I would have to agree it is an injury. This is another member of the Ornithoctoninae subfamily like your Lampropelma violaceopes . Notice the injury on the patella of the right pedipalp? It is also red and close to the same color as your pic. I assume that is the color of its mesocuticle (3rd layer and directly under the hard layer or exocuticle) and you can see it clearly after an injury. If you look hard at your picture you can see the same red in between the leg segments and joints of all the legs which is normal. Your T looks like the coxa(first segement of the leg) was partially seperated from the prosoma/cephalothorax. There seems to be injuries on the trochanter and patella of that leg also.(2nd and 4th segments).. She almost lost the leg from the looks of it. Poor thing! It should molt out of it and fix it. Hope it works itself out, it is a beautiful species. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Okay, I think I get what you're saying. Thank you!
And that's a beautiful tarantula you have there. My guess would be it's a Brazilian Black?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 on the bad moult comment.

I wouldn't worry about it, if the T is moving and eating fine I'd say its ok until such a time where it exhibits other symptoms.

There really is very little you can do for a T if it is sick so don't worry about it and just leave it be, it knows what its doing.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Well, actually, that brings up another point I've been meaning to post about. We've had her for three weeks now, and she still won't eat a thing - not a cricket or a roach. I'm starting to get worried she'll never eat.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Make sure the temperature and humidity are set up right, and just leave it be for a little bit it might just need to settle in.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure the temperature and humidity are set up right, and just leave it be for a little bit it might just need to settle in.
Yup yup yup, this sounds right.

Sometimes they just take a while to get acclimated. :)

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, actually, that brings up another point I've been meaning to post about. We've had her for three weeks now, and she still won't eat a thing - not a cricket or a roach. I'm starting to get worried she'll never eat.
I feel I should mention here that I have bought Ts and they refused to eat for months for one reason or another, as long as they have water available to them they will live a very long time with out eating.

So what I'm saying is don't worry if its not eating, if its abdomen starts getting wrinkley or shrinks a substantial amount in conjunction with the T being lethargic then start being concerned.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
I feel I should mention here that I have bought Ts and they refused to eat for months for one reason or another, as long as they have water available to them they will live a very long time with out eating.

So what I'm saying is don't worry if its not eating, if its abdomen starts getting wrinkley or shrinks a substantial amount in conjunction with the T being lethargic then start being concerned.
Okay, I'll watch for that! Thanks. :)