Singapore blue question

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 2.5"+ unsexed singapore blue. Mine likes to dig which is strange considering that the species is considered arboreal. What is the correct way to house a singapore blue? I am going to transfer it into a larger KK when it molts and just want to know if a terrestrial or arboreal setup is better for the species.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
blues tend to burrow until they grow up, then they hang out in the trees is what we found in our research. our blue is about the same size and we have s/he in a kk with about 3" of substrate. she made herself a tunnel right away and as she grows just pulls dirt in from where ever she needs it. her tube runs even with the ground so its like a train tunnel, but i've seen pics of others that look like mini volcanoes. we have a couple videos of s/he eating on my you tube link below, (or if you just search for singapore blue) but you'll see that she only comes out to eat, drink, and poop but most the time she stays underground and you can check out her house. the only regret we have is putting the toilet paper roll in there b/c shes webbed it into her tunnel and we cant get it out.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think they r semi-arboreal...they say that they live exactly like arboreals in their native habitat, but since i don't have enough vertical room i just keep my adult in a large KK with 2'' of substrate and a piece of cork, she seems to be sitting at the base during the days and walks around the cork in circles once a while during the nights...

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know exactly what you mean by it taking the tube in it's burrow. Mine took it's water bowl (a 2 liter cap) and started excavating the coconut shavings underneath it. Eventually the water bowl collapsed into the tunnel. It then proceeded to pull the cap further and further into the tunnel until it was out of sight. crazy t....

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i thought these were semi-arboreal. i've seen Sing.blues hide out in burrows and also web in arboreal enclosures.

renryu

Arachnopeon
Mine too!

I know exactly what you mean by it taking the tube in it's burrow. Mine took it's water bowl (a 2 liter cap) and started excavating the coconut shavings underneath it. Eventually the water bowl collapsed into the tunnel. It then proceeded to pull the cap further and further into the tunnel until it was out of sight. crazy t....
Co-signing on that, I think they are "cleptos" by nature!:D

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two of these blues and I rarely see them. Only reason I know they are alive is when crix disappear and when they kick out an old molt after they gain a fresh molt.

One of mine is kept in a bread holder so that should tell you that its tall, however even though its really tall my baby in that enclosure is never seen on the wall only on the ground.

And my other one is is kept in a jar the size of a peanut butter jar maybe a little bit bigger. and he never comes out or climb the walls yet

Mine have like at least 3 or more door ways to their hide away so its like they can come out of any hole at any time to grab crickets.

I also notice that most tarantulas perfer to have ONE door way.

Does anyone know why this species tends to make many door ways?

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah its pretty neat that they make a few different ways in and out. worm just posted a video of ours that widened one exit but not the other, and when she chased after a cricket she came too far out of the hole she left small and couldnt fit her big butt back in it. she's widened it since then :D its on youtube with our other vids if you all want to check it out

ronald might

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering...are singapore blue really from singapore !

Im from singapore, and to be frank..we arent even allowed tarantulas here!