Singapore Blue Dead?

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
VERY sadly, I have begun to suspect my Lampropelma Violaceopes has died. :( I've started several threads asking for help on how to take care of this girl; she hasn't eaten since I got her about fifty-eight days ago, and she just hasn't been acting right. Now, she's curled up on her side between a bark wall and a log hideaway in the cage. I just tried moving the log hideaway, which brushed against her, but she didn't make any voluntary movements. Her legs just moved slightly from where the log touched her. Does it sound like she's dead? How can I tell for sure? All the sites I've seen just say it's most likely a tarantula is molting if you think they're dead, but I'm fairly certain that's not the case here! So when do I give up and pronounce her dead? :confused: :(

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
She's in a really nice setup, actually. We have her in an arboreal cage with a water bowl and everything. We also recently tried a different substrate because she seemed to be bothered by the current substrate. The only problem was the heat... It was at 63 degrees today, which is the lowest I've seen it, but it usually doesn't get about 70 degrees. We got a heating pad, but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
good luck, hope all goes well. Im getting an L. violaceopes in a few days

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
That's exciting! They're stunning creatures, though perhaps a bit intimidating. Good luck with yours!
And thanks. I hope she's alright. I think we'll take her into the pet store we got her from and see what they can do.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
There's the front of her cage.
Arboreal Cage- front.jpg
The side...
Arboreal Cage Setup.jpg
There's the girl.
Jayclynn- dead.jpg
Closer up.
Jayclynn- dead2.jpg

That's a pretty good setup, right?
And I suppose I don't know. I guess she could be molting. Just, in my experience, they haven't stayed motionless for several days before the molt. And she's an adult, so I wouldn't think it probable that she'd be molting just two months after I got her. Although, I don't know when she last molted, so it could still be likely... I really don't know. I just want to know how to tell if it's not a molt.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
thats a good point, i am wondering is the abdomen plump or small?
Her abdomen could be bigger, I suppose. I've been trying to look out for that, but I don't know what is considered to be unusually small. Here's a picture of how it was a couple weeks ago; I think it's still pretty much the same size.
Jayclynn- eyes.jpg

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It still could be very likely. When I got my MF P. cambridgei, she webbed up a small area & pretty much didn't come off of it for 2 weeks, then she molted. I was shocked that she was mailed me in premolt, but it sounded like the old owner really didn't know.

And same with a female Avic. sp. I had bought from a pet store. Made a hammock, didn't move, & molted within a few weeks.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
It still could be very likely. When I got my MF P. cambridgei, she webbed up a small area & pretty much didn't come off of it for 2 weeks, then she molted. I was shocked that she was mailed me in premolt, but it sounded like the old owner really didn't know.

And same with a female Avic. sp. I had bought from a pet store. Made a hammock, didn't move, & molted within a few weeks.
That makes me feel better; thanks. I'll keep hope that she'll come out alright.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Don't move her for now then let's wait and see if she really does molt... Hope everything goes well. Don't disturb her and just check on her...

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Good news; she's changed positions. Over night, she moved to the top of the bark wall. :) Any ideas of how to get her to eat? Does anyone know how long an adult Singapore Blue can go without eating anything?
Thanks for all your help!

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's not eating chances are it is in pre-molt. From the looks of the last pic posted her abdomen is healthy size for an L.V. I would keep it humid... I've heard people from singapore state that humidity levels can be 90-100% for long periods of time.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
If it's not eating chances are it is in pre-molt. From the looks of the last pic posted her abdomen is healthy size for an L.V. I would keep it humid... I've heard people from singapore state that humidity levels can be 90-100% for long periods of time.
Okay, I'll keep the humidity up. And how long do they fast before a molt? This one hasn't eaten for about two months now.