Singapore blue; can you spot the problem

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
So our little Singapore blue is 2 1/2 weeks post molt, she is out and about a lot now,
today we were feeding her and noticed something wasn’t right with her, something was missing.One of her front feeler legs was gone and possibly another leg!! Two pics of her and one of her enclosure, what happened? Poor girl could this of happened during her molting? BC320E8F-2375-44D0-B512-EA9937877527.png 9C8E297F-5F10-4DC9-92B7-5C99EF6FF3C7.png 827CDAAE-6867-4B49-88F5-F39C04DFA219.png

Last edited:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
So our little Singapore blue is 2 1/2 weeks post molt, she is out and about a lot now,
today we were feeding her and noticed something wasn’t right with her, something was missing. Two pics of her and one of her enclosure, what happened? Poor girl could this of happened during her molting?
Yes, I've spotted what's missing!
@Thekla, we should proceed to add more descriptive discussion, and play 'The Emperor's New Clothes' on people.
Anyone that can't see the problem is unfit to browse this forum. (<= Note: this is a reference to the fairytale 'The Emperor's New Clothes', and is not at all intended to be harsh or rude or taken seriously)
Thekla, you are an erudite European, so I'm sure you're with me.
I'll start: well the coloration seems to be totally missing from the carapace.

Edit: Pictures have been added now, so my plot has been foiled, and my above comment no longer makes sense. Thanks very much @theredsonja83. Best wishes for your spider.

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Lost a couple legs, I've never had that happen on its own by a Tarantula without there being an injury of some sort.
It could have gotten stuck at some point and removed the leg (s)

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
Lost a couple legs, I've never had that happen on its own by a Tarantula without there being an injury of some sort.
It could have gotten stuck at some point and removed the leg (s)
Thank you I’m really confused by it. We definitely don’t interact with this girl unless it’s to moisten her enclosure or feed her. I hope she isn’t sick or something.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thank you I’m really confused by it. We definitely don’t interact with this girl unless it’s to moisten her enclosure or feed her. I hope she isn’t sick or something.
As long as its fangs aren't damaged or missing as well it shouldn't have any problems. All the missing legs and its pedipalp will grow back with the next moults. :)
If the fangs are damaged as well you need to feed it with roach soup or worm soup so it can fatten up for the next moult.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I'm sorry for your spider, but I'm sure you're doing all the right things. Now you will get to see the interesting process of limb regeneration. 👍

theredsonja83

Arachnopeon
As long as its fangs aren't damaged or missing as well it shouldn't have any problems. All the missing legs and its pedipalp will grow back with the next moults. :)
If the fangs are damaged as well you need to feed it with roach soup or worm soup so it can fatten up for the next moult.
Thank you for the reassurance, she seems to be eating well. As far as I can tell both fangs seem to be there.

I'm sorry for your spider, but I'm sure you're doing all the right things. Now you will get to see the interesting process of limb regeneration. 👍
Thank you for your response, Just one more cool thing about Tarantulas to put on my list!! Really resilient amazing creatures!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Nothing to be worried about it sometimes happens with a molt, they will grow back in a few!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Missing legs are usually a minimal problem, probably will regrow with the next molt.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Back in the day when I was a guppy. I was performing one of my 1st rehousings. Unfortunately I underestimated the speed of my Pterinopelma sazimai sling & accidently closed it's lid (Kritter Keeper) on it's leg. It was bummer, but it pulled through. It's molted a few times since then and now I can't even remember which leg was missing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had an irminia lose legs after molt, more than once. Molted in a VERY TIGHT corner.