singapore blue BAD MOLT HELP!!!!!

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, i came home to find out that my singapore female had molted (yaaay) i removed the skin witch looks good (yaaay).... BUT, then i looked at her spinarets, and, well there aint any! what the hell do i do? will she die? help please!!!!!

(pics soon, i made a mess of things)

she is the most boring tarantula i own, but i love her loads and would hate to here bad news, but give it to me how it is ok!!!

thanks, pete

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say leave her be and make sure she has access to fresh water, as long as she eats and stays hydrated she " should " be ok....

Regards, Mike

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow I haven't heard of this before. Does yours tend to be more arboreal or terrestrial? I know some of these species will go either way.. I'm not sure if they NEED their spinnerets, but don't they use them to eat too?

Either way, I hope she does fine.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They will likely regrow like any other lost appendage and only a future molt could tell you...

As for the consequences, she might have a hard time eating, and molting without a mat... but she might pretty well survive. My only true concern would be that the healing tissue somehow block the waste from being ejected. If the animal is unable to defecate then it might pretty much die :(

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That was my first thought too. I would only see it as a major problem if the scar tissue blocks the excreation of waste. Otherwise, she survived the molt so hopefully it will just be an inconvienence to her until her next one. Good luck.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i think the spinneretts are there,it looks like they are covered with poo,see if you can gently spray down that area very carefully,the water will remove the poo from the spinneretts(if that is the case)i had that problem w/my female b.vagens,looked like the same thing,i did that method and the spinneretts were there,don't know what causes it though,humidity etc. good luck:)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully what beetleman said is the case, because she could likely die of stress.

I know humans can't typically drop dead as a doornail from stress, as much stress as we have :p, but a person can certainly die from actions caused by stress. What I'm trying to say is to equate a T with no spinnerets is sort of like a middle aged man with no hands, living off the government, developing substance abuse and becoming depressed by each passing day. (nobody take offense to this, I made up a random example) But T's are a lot more fragile then us humans and in the same (metaphorically speaking) conditions as the depressed human being can die.

Although you may want to contact the suicide prevention line for your singapore blue. ;P Just kidding.

What I would suggest, if you have handled her before is to test her current mood with a brush or something, then try and gently rub the spinnerets. Hopefully all it is is dead skin from the molt. And if not, well you may need to throw in some gentle 'nurturing' to ease the poor girls spirits, maybe take out all dead feeder corpses (since she can't web them out) provide steady amount of water, and hope she molts with a brand new pair of 'hands'!

PS Sorry for the rant LOL

elephantspider

Arachnopeon
Hopefully what beetleman said is the case, because she could likely die of stress.

I know humans can't typically drop dead as a doornail from stress, as much stress as we have :p, but a person can certainly die from actions caused by stress. What I'm trying to say is to equate a T with no spinnerets is sort of like a middle aged man with no hands, living off the government, developing substance abuse and becoming depressed by each passing day. (nobody take offense to this, I made up a random example) But T's are a lot more fragile then us humans and in the same (metaphorically speaking) conditions as the depressed human being can die.

Although you may want to contact the suicide prevention line for your singapore blue. ;P Just kidding.

What I would suggest, if you have handled her before is to test her current mood with a brush or something, then try and gently rub the spinnerets. Hopefully all it is is dead skin from the molt. And if not, well you may need to throw in some gentle 'nurturing' to ease the poor girls spirits, maybe take out all dead feeder corpses (since she can't web them out) provide steady amount of water, and hope she molts with a brand new pair of 'hands'!

PS Sorry for the rant LOL
omg what a great post rofl. ...living off the government... wow.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha yeah...

The sad thing is I would have more sympathies for the T without spinnerets rather than my example. :?