Singapore Blue a display?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im looking at getting a singapore blue but I don't know if they make a good display? I've never owned an aboreal spider so is there anything I need to know? Different way to set up the tank? Substrate? Anything you can tell me! Thanks, Trey

P.S. Will they do good in a 20 long and whats the smallest size you would start one in there?

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Singapore blues are very beautiful spiders but they only need about a 10 gallon tank. The only difference in keeping them is you want more length then width and less substrate. Give them a piece of bamboo with a hole or some cork.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It also depends on what size spider you're going to start out with? Slings are very cheap right now and are great to watch grow.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sadly for me, capitalist prices are like a game of chicken, and i pulled out too early. either way, i'm almost positive i have a budding female and that's good enough.

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok thanks guys. See I need to get something that has some size already because I need to use my 20 gal due to it being a good source of light for my bedroom (don't ask). I should have around 175-200$ credit to work with but I just don't know what I should go with. I like the blues but i've heard they don't stay out much?

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome choice! You can find a sling for pretty cheap, great T none the less, enjoy the colors! :D

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I should have around 175-200$ credit to work with but I just don't know what I should go with.
With that type of credit I would wear it out on slings. You won't get instant gratification but once they start getting some size on them and start showing colors you'll thank me.

Once you have a little more time and the numbers in the hobby you'll understand where I'm coming from. Mark my word. :)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isn't this specie supposed to become quite large? Heard stories about monstrous sizes...

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As adults these are huge and gangly.

They live arboreally, although like schioedtei many will burrow/adapt to a burrow in captivity, particularly as juveniles.

They are not the best display animals as they are shy and photosensitive and prefer to be holed up in a hollow log.

Spiderlings start at the £10-£15 mark in the UK.

johnjallorina

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
once they hatched and turned spiderlings they are large to start of with, approx 2-2.5cm, and will take large maggots to medium criks.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my sling is often cooped up inside her web, but that just makes it even better when she does come out.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As mentioned an adult will take to a burrow. I have one adult female and I see her from time to time she is a pet hole of sorts. She does become very active at night but during the day she just sits in the hide and stays there. Her size is amazing..... she at around 7.5 with an up coming molt.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As mentioned an adult will take to a burrow. I have one adult female and I see her from time to time she is a pet hole of sorts. She does become very active at night but during the day she just sits in the hide and stays there. Her size is amazing..... she at around 7.5 with an up coming molt.
That's something, so it seems they are very opportunistic either enjoying the arboreal setting or can adapt to burrowing, they are stunning in colors. :D

Naude

Arachnopeon
I bought 2 of them 3 months ago and they eat extremely well and both molted twice already and have become very large in a very short time. They both have almost the same setup as the pics Lopez posted with very elaborate burrows. They always sit outside when they are hungry but are scared away very easily!