since were talking about breeding

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well in regards , since i was talking about breeding regalis's to earn cash for a good cause, i also have an 8 inch female king baboon, would any one have any advice on breeding this monster she is super aggressive and i'm worried she'll just eat whatever i introduce to her,lol, thanks ahead of time everyone---Jeff:?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it true that these are one of the hardest species to breed in captivity?

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I have heard that the more aggressive the species, the more gentle they are when mating. And the tamer species can be quite violent. Not sure if this is true though.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by King_Looey
I have heard that the more aggressive the species, the more gentle they are when mating. And the tamer species can be quite violent. Not sure if this is true though.
You know, that seems to be the case. But, in breeding tarantulas, there seems to be rule breakers out there, so it wouldn't be wise to live by this. Though, I absolutely think that the word AGGRESSIVE is a poor choice when describing some spicey tarantulas. I like extra defensive.
john

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
King baboons are tough...

Breeding them doesn't happen very often at all and the females are bad about going after the males so I would use caution and don't leave them unattended. I have personally seen my female destroy 2 males over the last couple of years and both times it happenned real fast with no warning.
Phil

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw on the Kelly Swift site that they sell the first American captive bred slings. That would reinforce the point about them being difficult to breed (unless it has not been tried often, but I doubt that)
greetz,
Joost

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The person that produced that bunch of King Baboons was Chris Barton. He's a real crawshayi nut (hi Chris! :) ). The male was supplied from my collection. I tried him with my brother Jack's female, but things didn't look good for a breeding so I thought I'd let Chris have a go. I was sorry to see that male go as he was one of my first acquired tarantulas. Slow grown to perfection in 6 years (to maturation).
Also, I don't think it was the first eggsac of C. crawshayi to be produced in the US. My friend, who is a dealer, cites a person in FL, named Doug I recall, as having a successful hatch.
They are indeed rare. It's a species to keep an eye on, 'cause you never know when they stop bringing them in at the rate they're doin' now.
john