similarities in scientific names

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ever since I've been hunting for a new T, I have noticed similarities in scientific names ending with 'pelma', such as Aphnopelma, Brachypelma, Chromatopelma, Haplopelma. I've wondered what is the significance of using 'pelma'. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the Latin names can explain it for me? :?

Bry

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well here's the definition I was able to scour up.

pelma
n. - impression showing shape of sole.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks...

Thanks for the help. That did help quite a bit. Didn't see a translation for Grammastola though.

Bry

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
As best I can find, grammastola came out in latin to mean 'long coat'.. go figure..

Bill

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In general, and this applies to most of taxonomy and not just Ts, the genus name is usually Greek transliterated into the Latin alphabet and the specific epithet (the albopilosum in Brachypelma albopilosum for example) is Latin or latinized proper names (like smithi, peterklaasi, blondi). A large selection of Greek vocabulary was adopted by the Romans which means that sometimes the Greek genus name can be translated through Latin and Greek both. And sometimes the scientist making the name doesn't follow the standard, like Hysterocrates gigas, which is all Greek.

Adrian

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You think the pelma's look alike, how about
CHromatopelma
STromatopelma

Dennis

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the link Bill provided you can see that pelma means '(sole of) foot'

Some of the combinations are really nice: Poecilotheria regalis: Kingly or Regal Coloured Beast, Psalmopoeus reduncus: Bent or Curved Back Song Creator...:)