Simandoa conserfariam care

Yama777

Arachnosquire
Hello to all,

I would like to start a Simandoa conserfariam breeding. I have the opportunity to receive 12 nymphs and I am looking for information for their care.

I have already read all the topics about them here and on other forums and I found this :

- 75-80F (heat mat on one side of the box).

- Coco substrate and/or top soil, with forest moss, tree leaves and decaying wood

- Moist but not soggy substrate, several sprays per week if needed

- Very high ventilation

- Some inches of substrate but generally not a burrowing species in captivity

- Well closed container because of the risk of escape

- Enough space as the species is sensitive to overcrowding

- Many hiding places such as cork bark or egg cartons

- Food rich in various fruits, some vegetables and greens, fish flakes or cat food, Beetle Jelly

- Springtails or isopods to clean up mold

Did I forget something?

Do you have any other advice?

I am interested in this species for conservation purposes and would like to do some breeding to continue to spread this species in the hobby ;)

Thanks in advance

Lordosteous

Arachnopeon
I'm no roach expert by any means (currently working with and having success with Dubias, hissers, chrome roaches, and cave roaches) but this looks like an excellent starting point! If you haven't already, definitely check out Roach Crossing.com. The owner (Kyle) is super knowledgeable about all things cockroach, I'm sure he could answer any questions you have.

Yama777

Arachnosquire
Thank you for your answer, I'll check for Kyle from RoachCrossing ;)
Someone advised me to make a bioactive substrate with 100% dead oak leaves and decaying wood harvested in the forest (without cleaning it or putting it in the oven or boiling water, just checking that there are no predatory myriapods like Lithobius spp.)
What do you think about it?
No risk of pathogenic fungi or parasites?

Lordosteous

Arachnopeon
As I understand it, the main nutrition from dead leaves and rotting wood actually comes from the fungus growing on and inside them, so hard sterilizing (such as baking) can reduce their nutritional value by killing these fungi. Not sterilizing at all does have some pretty big risks, like you stated. There's pros and cons to sterilizing and not sterilizing, no two people will give you the same answer about which way to do it is "right".
Me personally for my millipedes, isopods, and roaches, I collect the leaves and wood and leave them in a plastic grocery bag for a few months. This lets them dry out more naturally and eliminates pests like Lithobius and Crematogaster quite effectively. It does not kill the nutritional fungi however, which become dormant and spring back to life after being rehydrated. Haven't had a problem with this method so far, been using it for about two years, but there are no doubt other ways to do it.