Silly Question about Shipping

kolomomma

Arachnopeon
Okay, this might seem dumb to seasoned bug people. But I've never shipped anything living and don't know how to start. I started with 2 supposedly juvenile male hissing cockroaches and when they grew up one was female. Now I have surplus that I would like to sell or trade, but no idea how to ship them even if I do get any takers. How do I humanely package and send these little guys?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, this might seem dumb to seasoned bug people. But I've never shipped anything living and don't know how to start. I started with 2 supposedly juvenile male hissing cockroaches and when they grew up one was female. Now I have surplus that I would like to sell or trade, but no idea how to ship them even if I do get any takers. How do I humanely package and send these little guys?
First off how large are the hissers? The size limits the amount of hissers that can be placed together in one container.

After the size of container the hissers are to be shipped in is determined (space for packing inside the container is needed as well) pad the container with lightly misted paper towels(I would pad it pretty good so if they move around during shipping the chances of injury are reduced). Be sure to put plenty of airholes Then after they are packed put them inside their shipping container/containers then use crumpled newspaper, shipping peanuts, etc to pad the shipping box so that there is as little movement as possible. Also consider cool packs/heat packs for weather extremes that are wrapped in newspaper and not in contact with your live cargo. Then securely shut the box and seal it with shipping tape and carefully make a few airholes and ship it using the service of your choice.

Brian

kolomomma

Arachnopeon
shipping hissers

Thanks, they are mostly little still. What shipping service do you recommend?

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ship USPS for most of my stuff, live and material items. Although i wouldn't recommend them for anythng beyond inverts(trust me on that one).

-Eric

kolomomma

Arachnopeon
shipping

Yeah, I was just reading about shipping on a reptile board and hearing some HORROR stories.