Silliest T advice you've ever heard at a pet store

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It was inbelievable

--J.Haas
I asked if Ts eat waxworms as a joke once( I knew they do), And they were scrambling for caresheets. In the end I put waxworms back because superworms were the same price $5 for 50 waxworms is a joke.

I also asked what a waxworm was, lots of employees think they are giant maggots.... total idiots.
I then told them they were moth larvae...

Last edited:

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
"Make sure you tear down the spiders web ever few days so you can see them."

... My jaw hit the ground
Everyone knows that spiders love to show off to humans, you can help by cleaning out that pesky webbing every so often!

Methal

Arachnosquire
had to share this one, it JUST happened.
Went to an Animal Ark store here in Utah. They were selling a ton of Rosies, with 1 "chilean fire knee" for 79 bucks. I looked into the enclosure and see a (not kidding) a MOLT sitting in small hole with webbing all around it. No T in site. This was a small KK so I could easily tell that te T was not in there.

I say to the lady who manages the store "um I think you have an escaped Tarantula" She says "Nah, its in there, see you can see its legs," I say "thats looks to me like just the molt." "nah its the fireknee it just sleeps all the time." I tell here "lady I'll buy it for twice the listed price if that is the T." she rolls her eyes, opens the thing up and pokes it with her pen.
of course the molt doesn't move.
"uh....oh i hope its not dead..." and pokes it again. She then sees that it is infact the molt, all the blood drains from her face and she says "shit...its really is gone...."
I say "need help finding it?"
"Oh no its fine...Its around here somewhere. i'll be back."
Goes into the back and I don't see her again.

They keep their Ts right next to their snakes/larger lizards, I'm thinking the little guy climbed out, went down, and right onto the lunch menu of one of their reptiles.

the expression on her face was priceless though. I swear she was about to freak out. It was obvious that she is a bit nervous around the tarantulas

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
This isn't a T one but, I was looking at the herps at a petco. And noticed a poor little albino pacman frog recently dead. You could tell just by looking at it the poor thing died from being impacted. The tank was full of moss and wood chips, and there was a HUGE lump on the side of the frog. It also had a nasty bacterial infection in one eye, and a cricket eating its other eye.

I told one of the staff they had a dead Pac with its eye being eaten by a cricket. Her response "ugh again" o_O

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Be sure to pick up some calcium powder to dust your crickets for your tarantula on occasion" - Told to me more than once by employees looking for add-on sales.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
hah went to go find some mapogony wood or some grape wood for my arboreal cages in the making . and someone labeled "groomer" asked if i kept reptiles.. i told them oh yea im down a little bit from my peak but im at 8 snakes. 5 geckos 20 tarantulas and like 20 scorpions. "wow all of that in one cage" uhm no! "oh well thats what your supposed to do.. keeping them together keeps them happier" im like uhm no they are all solitude animals with exception of leopard geckos females can be communal.. "oh no your no expert! i know my animals" i snipped back with iv studied herpetology for over 12 yr and marine biology for just as long.. how do they know more then me "im a profecional" i snipped back oh yes maybe at giving a poodle a fade, or my shi-tzu look like a lil lion but you do not know anything about herps or inverts XD at this time the fish guy [who shockingly knows his fishfacts] and reptile guy who iv been teaching pop around the corner trying not to laugh hysterically :)

cold blood

Staff member
A new member posted the other day that the pet store told her that her t had molted twice in 2 days....they claimed it was rare but it happens....so stupid.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Ok, i read absolutely nothing before posting but mine was; "this one LOVES to held and petted. She also likes to sit on her sponge in the water dish, shes there all the time." The spider in question was Ephebopus murinus (most likely) with an inch of wood chip strate completely dry with about 10 crix jumping around.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Time to revive this thread again!

The other day I had my first bad experience with a pet shop employee. I'll give the conversation to you in script format.

I'm in this pet shop (I think the name of the place was just "Pets") that I hadn't ever been to before, and I noticed they had one tarantula for sale. Here was the conversation with the nearest employee:
Me: What species of tarantula is that?
Employee: Tarantula!
Me: I know that, I was asking for the species.
Employee *with a confused look on his face* It's a tarantula. It's a type of giant spider.
Me: Oh. So what's the breed? :shifty:
Employee: Chilean red rose!

I don't even know why I asked that, as it was clearly Grammostola rosea. It was set up in a small KK with about 1/2 an inch of soaking wet coconut fiber substrate. There was a half log hide, no water dish, and about 150 crickets running around in there. From the condensation on the walls, I'd also say it had just been misted very heavily. The poor thing was in a stress pose! I would have bought it if it weren't for the $50 price tag, and the fact that I'd have to sign a "Poisonous Animal Release Form," and wait ten days while they evaluated if it was safe to let me keep something so "dangerous." "The bite from this spider will kill a small cat or dog, and hospitalize a fully grown man." :rofl: :shifty:

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Time to revive this thread

I don't even know why I asked that, as it was clearly Grammostola rosea. It was set up in a small KK with about 1/2 an inch of soaking wet coconut fiber substrate. There was a half log hide, no water dish, and about 150 crickets running around in there. From the condensation on the walls, I'd also say it had just been misted very heavily. The poor thing was in a stress pose! I would have bought it if it weren't for the $50 price tag, and the fact that I'd have to sign a "Poisonous Animal Release Form," and wait ten days while they evaluated if it was safe to let me keep something so "dangerous." "The bite from this spider will kill a small cat or dog, and hospitalize a fully grown man." :rofl: :shifty:
Seriously!!! Should have told her, "I'm not buying a handgun, just the tarantula." :banghead:
In CO its necessary to sign a waiver and a 10 waiting period? Do you have a minimum age requirement, like 18 or 21? Here its 18, parent/guardian must be present if you're younger.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Seriously!!! Should have told her, "I'm not buying a handgun, just the tarantula." :banghead:
In CO its necessary to sign a waiver and a 10 waiting period? Do you have a minimum age requirement, like 18 or 21? Here its 18, parent/guardian must be present if you're younger.
I'm not sure they would have let me have it if I were under 18. I bet some uninformed lawyer who knows absolutely nothing about tarantulas made them do that. Better safe than sorry, right?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
"make sure to contact your local vet to remove the venom sacs when you get home! else it will be mean all its life!" oh my gosh, its frustrating!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really love seeing the employees offer to giver me a closer look at... I don't know... say H. maculata, any pokie, or their OBTs... by removing the lid and digging around a little... :eek:

I got my regalis fresh molted with 4 large crickets in there and they knew it had just molted! :rage:

Some of these brighten my day by giving me a good laugh, most of them make me sad to know that as the hobby has progressed exponentially, the pet store employees remained the same...:(