Silliest T advice you've ever heard at a pet store

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
but those care sheets they give out are ;) my local petco has a great fish guy he'll talk with you about nitrates nitrites amonia etc etc.. their reptile guy as well as small animals.. forget about it. their reptile guy told me to keep my leos with my ausy pythons "because their from about the same area"
oh wow.. LOL that's not a really good reptile guy then.. haha!

That is true, there are some good ones, but in my experience, any store that labels inverts as reptiles is probably pretty worthless.
I don't think they label the inverts as reptiles.. I was just saying my friend is a herp guy.. he doesn't generally deal with spiders himself personally but he does the research to house them and take care of them properly. lol

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
I don't think they label the inverts as reptiles
I don't know about your local petco, but when I called mine to ask if they had any tarantulas, the woman put me on hold for 5 minutes before deciding to transfer me to reptiles.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Oh maybe, IDK. I know petco and pet smart both have the inverts on the same wall. I think they are in the same area just because they don't deal with inverts as much. Maybe the inverts are more of an additional interest thing. Herps and invert people have a lot of crossover between the hobbies I think. I know of a LOT of people that have herps and inverts.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
Oh maybe, IDK. I know petco and pet smart both have the inverts on the same wall. I think they are in the same area just because they don't deal with inverts as much. Maybe the inverts are more of an additional interest thing. Herps and invert people have a lot of crossover between the hobbies I think. I know of a LOT of people that have herps and inverts.
Yeah that and not all petcos and petsmarts are the same. It's really nice to see franchises that actually care about their animals.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
How a tiny area is best for a tarantula who naturally has the world as it's oyster, I don't subscribe to that bs

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I kid you not this was 2+ years ago and we drove past this scroungy little pet store on the outer layers of the city and the word "Tarantulas" caught my eye so I just decided to go on for a look (didn't plan on buying anything) so I went in and the tarantulas were in these crummy little critter keepers with saw dust for substrate (These are aussie tarantulas so they NEED medium-high humidity) so at that stage I was already shaking my head and he has a bunch of arid species and a few from the tropics of Queensland and shock horror they were all named "Whistling spider" and he comes up to me and says how ya goin mate and starts giving me all this crap info and I just sat there and fake nodded in agreement and he directs me over to the arids and says "Now these are the tarantulas that you can handle but not the tropical ones" I almost died of shock when I heard that considering the arid ones are even more bad tempered than the tropical ones which already have a reputation of being real mean and fast, anyway I just said thanks but I'm not into tarantulas and left.

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
This is not poor advice, but it is related. A few hours ago I was in town and we decided to check out the local petco for the first time since I've gotten my tarantula. Well, they had one T in stock. All it said was "Pink toe" . I do not remember what substrate they had it on, and to be honest, off the top of my head I think it may have been that carpet stuff you see in some reptile enclosures... Anyways, it was in a typical terrestrial setup with a water dish (props for no sponge *clap clap*) and a half log. which bugged me because it was obvious the T was uncomfortable and needed something to climb on. The poor gal was in the corner with nearly the ENTIRE abdomen free of hair. I'm not sure where it all went considering pink toes don't flick hairs, but instead they rub them off into skin.. But this is not even all of it. Since we were already there and feeding day is coming up for my one and only G. rosea, I decided to pick up a few crickets. I made my way to their crappy "Take out crickets" which are 30-something crickets packed into a small plastic container with a clipping of egg carton. I kid you not, every single one of the containers expired on "9/2" ... That is 20 days ago.. Every single cricket was dead. I looked at 3 containers filled with decomposing insect corpses until I decided that it was safe to say I wasn't going to find any live, let alone healthy crickets there.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
This is not poor advice, but it is related. A few hours ago I was in town and we decided to check out the local petco for the first time since I've gotten my tarantula. Well, they had one T in stock. All it said was "Pink toe" . I do not remember what substrate they had it on, and to be honest, off the top of my head I think it may have been that carpet stuff you see in some reptile enclosures... Anyways, it was in a typical terrestrial setup with a water dish (props for no sponge *clap clap*) and a half log. which bugged me because it was obvious the T was uncomfortable and needed something to climb on. The poor gal was in the corner with nearly the ENTIRE abdomen free of hair. I'm not sure where it all went considering pink toes don't flick hairs, but instead they rub them off into skin.. But this is not even all of it. Since we were already there and feeding day is coming up for my one and only G. rosea, I decided to pick up a few crickets. I made my way to their crappy "Take out crickets" which are 30-something crickets packed into a small plastic container with a clipping of egg carton. I kid you not, every single one of the containers expired on "9/2" ... That is 20 days ago.. Every single cricket was dead. I looked at 3 containers filled with decomposing insect corpses until I decided that it was safe to say I wasn't going to find any live, let alone healthy crickets there.
does your store not have crickets in the back for big orders? iv gone in and ordered up to 500 cricks at a time :p [huge overcount was awesome lmao]

ForeverTHC

Arachnopeon
does your store not have crickets in the back for big orders? iv gone in and ordered up to 500 cricks at a time :p [huge overcount was awesome lmao]
Ha, they probably do. I was just too disgusted by the rotting ones to ask. Plus when i notified the woman that her entire stock of crickets were dead and expired, she snapped back at me "We know... We are taking car e of it."
Like, if you know about it then why arent you just throwing them away? T_T
Plus I didn't have to feed my crickets until this wednesday (tomorrow) and I just ended up stopping by the local small pet shop because I know their crickets are fine

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
I think one of the most depressing statements I've ever heard was told to me by a manager, I repeat a MANAGER of a PetLand store. I walked in to buy some crickets for my critters, one Rose Hair, one GBB, one LP (Brazillian Pink Bird Eater raised from sling to adulthood-female) and three Asian Forest Scorps. In a tank was a sad little Pink Toe at the top of the tank with more webbing around her than I've ever seen and a 100watt REGULAR LIGHT BULB shining down directly into her little tank, the floor covered in bark and a dirty sponge in a bowl. I asked the MANAGER if she knew her T didn't really like the light and all that heat. Her answer to me was, well, if she didn't like it, she wouldn't web so much! I informed her that all the webbing is because she is trying desperately to BLOCK THE LIGHT. She says she's had this store in business and tells all her customers exactly how to take care of the T's she sells them and has only had, in 7 years, 3 people come back with a dead T. ???????? Shoot me now :(

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
I have a few stories like this although some of them aren't tarantula related - so I will put the tarantula related ones first and the others afterwards

1. I went to Canada to visit my brother and his wife and naturally the question was asked about my Corn Snake 'Inca'. I said yes she was still a stubborn thing, but she's fine...(and then I stupidly said)...Mystery is fine as well....cue the question "Who and what is Mystery?" When I said that Mystery was a tarantula...Vanessa (my brother's wife) and Robert's jaws pretty much fell to the floor....and of course the question was asked "Has it been de-fanged and the poison taken out from it?"...Needless to say that I rolled my eyes and said "If I wanted a dead tarantula then I would have bought one." I kind of felt for my brother though as he has been arachnophobic for years - so it was a bit of a shock for him....but he has finally said that he's never going into my bedroom again when he visits us in England...but it was brilliant to see their reaction!

2. I was talking to a 'friend' of mine about Mystery a few months ago. It was good to know that he had an interest in her, but when I said about the fact that she eats live crickets...he quickly decided he didn't want a tarantula (or any live eating reptile or animal)...because he felt sorry for the crickets being eaten. This guy is also an apparent 'vegan' and even tries to get his cat to eat vegetables instead of the cat food she needs.

Onto the other stories now

1. A few years ago, my parents and I were in a garden centre which had an animal section. My parents were by the cash desk, whilst I went to go and get some food for my hamster (now R.I.P). The next thing I know was my Mum was yelling for me...so I went to the cash desk. The woman behind the desk was 'trying' and 'failing' to capture about 6 large hoppers for another customers order. The reason why Mum called me...I didn't have a fear of crickets like the cashier did lol. The woman said I was really brave...I just said "I don't fear an animal...I respect them."

Funny thing was - I had just applied for a job working in the animal section...didn't get the job though...it ended up being the woman's best friend....and needless to say - The animal section has now gone from the garden centre lol....I wonder why lol

2. My corn snake Inca was in need of a bigger vivarium, so after several searches for a decent sized viv for her, the store website that I had originally purchased Inca from had some really nice vivariums in stock. So my friend and I went over to the store to enquire about them. Now when I originally purchase Inca about 2 years ago...everything went fine and pretty much all the information to look after her was correct (from the several books/forums I had researched before getting Inca). So I was majorly surprised (and **** off) when the same guy who sold me Inca then proceeded to tell me that I needed a heat lamp, hot rocks, sand and pretty much everything that a corn snake should never have...I didn't say anything, but my friend saw how tense I was getting and then told the guy that we will think about it and get back to him...before we walked out of the store lol.

I actually ended up in my local P@H store and came out with a brilliant vivarium and the correct equipment for the corn snake needs...and a couple of days after that - I got Aztec from there and he's a real little cutie lol.

Anyway - that's pretty much my essay done for now - hope you enjoy

Julz xx

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
"that horned baboon is a sweet heart, she'd make a great addition to your collection, I think she'd be great for handling."

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
If it was just some random LPS I probably would have felt the same way. But its my regular store and an employee I like and has a general knowledge of how to keep herps, fish and furry critters, but admittedly knows nothing about T's and has come to me with questions about them a few times, and lets me sex the T's that molt while they are at the store, if female I can get them for the same price they were marked as unsexed.

I explained to her why that was a very bad idea, talked about the general difference between OW and NW venom. They haven't stocked an OW since.

Methal

Arachnosquire
In the UK:
The Pet Animals Act 1951
The Pet Animals Act 1951 (as amended in 1983) protects the welfare of animals sold as pets. The Act requires any person keeping a pet shop to be licensed by the local authority. Before granting a licence the local authority must be satisfied that the animals are kept in accommodation that is both suitable and clean; that they are supplied with appropriate food and drink; and are adequately protected from disease and fire. The local authority may attach any conditions to the licence, may inspect the licensed premises at all reasonable times and may refuse a licence if the conditions at the premises are unsatisfactory or if the terms of the licence are not being complied with.

Local authorities are responsible for enforcing the law in this area and anyone who has reason to believe that a pet shop is keeping animals in inadequate conditions should raise the matter with the local authority who will decide what action to take within the range of its powers.

Under s.2 pets cannot be sold in the street, including on barrows and markets.

In the USA:
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ddusretailpetstores.htm#II
...Currently, there is no federal law which covers all retail pet stores. The Animal Welfare Act (“AWA”) is a federal law which specifies who may possess and sell certain types of animals and the minimum standards of care for these regulated animals. The AWA does not cover birds, rats, mice, and cold-blooded animals such as reptiles, fish, and amphibians. Furthermore, the AWA specifically excludes retail pet stores from its purview of protection.

...There are fifteen states that do not have any laws regulating retail pet stores...For example, Alabama does not regulate retail pet stores. Yet, if a retail pet store employee in Alabama “intentionally or recklessly subjects any animal to cruel mistreatment or subjects any animal in his custody to cruel neglect” and is found guilty of such an act, she would be charged with a Class B Misdemeanor.

Etc.

Basically, Phil, both countries have dealt with it in the same way. The central government has pushed the job to a lower level. In the UK, it's gone to the city. In the USA, the job has gone to the state. Certainly, the S.P.C.A. are active in the US. Also, it's not clear in the UK if a tarantula breeder would be considered a pet seller. Or if the RSPCA would get involved.

Does that give you a little more info? BOTH countries have similar regulations, but neither seems to out-law bad advice.

"The Act requires any person keeping a pet shop to be licensed by the local authority. "

Doesn't guarantee that the local "authority" isn't also an idiot.
and with government 99 times out of 100 they are stupid enough to question their own ability to feed themselves.

A government stamp of approval means less than nothing. In fact all it means that the prices will be higher for the same neglectful shit.

---------- Post added 12-08-2014 at 12:32 PM ----------

I hate it so much when people ask me if my Ts are "de-fanged" or "de-venomed" It sounds like some made-up fantasy thing. Even if you could do it without harm to the T, I wouldn't. Why take away part of their natural beauty and the only weapon they've been equipped with (other than u.hairs, for NWs) for defense? (Unless you consider Avic. poo-shooting to be another alternative...) :rolleyes: If someone's uncomfortable with the fangs then they need to find a new pet.
I've only been asked this once. I offended the hell out of the lady that asked me by saying "i'd sooner de-jaw a cat than defang my Tarantula!" When she made this stupid little gasp of shock I mimiced her and said "yeah same thing."

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
I've only been asked this once. I offended the hell out of the lady that asked me by saying "i'd sooner de-jaw a cat than defang my Tarantula!" When she made this stupid little gasp of shock I mimiced her and said "yeah same thing."

that's a great response, ill have to keep that in mind.

I had a particularly nasty old lady over heard me talking about T's at a pet store and made a comment about wanting to squash them all, I told her Id love your kick her little dog so I guess were even

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The worst I ever heard was some teenager telling a mom and her 7 or 8 year old son that a mature male H. Lividum was a good pet for her son to handle and that it would live a long time and it just needed to moult and then it would be blue. (They had it advertised as a blue baboon)

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Make sure you tear down the spiders web ever few days so you can see them."

... My jaw hit the ground

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
At times i think pet store workers (not all workers) do not even care about the condition the tarantulas are in or the security
if their jobs for that matter, OR they have not been educated yet.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
When I was picking up super worms at my local petco, I noticed a 5 inch female H.lividum in a mini kritter keeper (6in-4in-4in). When I asked the clerk why it was being kept in such a small cage she replied " we keep them in small cages because they dont like to walk". They also had about 5-10 dead crickets in there with the poor thing.