Silliest T advice you've ever heard at a pet store

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
*blink blink* Tarantulas need rocks to shed...their shell? What in the actual...

I always find it interesting that pet store people are never fazed by dead tarantulas. I've tried to explain a couple of times that they're long-lived creatures and that them dying with such frequency is a sign they're doing something very wrong. Might as well be talking to a wall.
Oh, they're just bugs. No need to cry or anything.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Tarantula dorm roommates

I bought a large reptile ranch (long horizontal kritter keeper) while returning the medium one explaining that the 3 1/2" T I'm about to get and put in there could be 5" in just one molt. So I figured I'll just get the big one instead of having to upgrade. I chit chat that I'm getting 2 LPs coming about 3 1/2" and 4" and that's why I needed big cages. To which he says well they'll outgrow this one too. While I know that, it's hopefully not until I'm moved and have more room for an actual "critter room". Again I explain that these spiders will still take a couple of years before they are total monsters.

And he goes well if they're small enough to keep them in there together then go for it.

I thought. Wait.... he thinks I'm gonna put 2 immature giant tarantulas together in one cage? Sure I'll throw the rose hair and the pinktoe in there too and they can all play poker and smoke blunts... :o_O:

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
Here is an experience I had at a pet store a while ago. Having already heard many people make negative comments about the Ts there "look at this ugly animal", I went and looked over in the T section to find a mature male Brachypelma albopilosum, an Avicularia avicularia, a Rosie, and *drum roll* a Mexican Red Knee! You know the kinds that go for $200 online and at shows. It had a lot of hair missing from its abdomen. I knew I didn't have any more room for Ts, but I also didn't want some idiot buying this treasure, so I decided "what the heck" and went to ask the price. One of the pet store employees said it was about $30 :D.
where is this store? that might be worthy of a road trip.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Oh, they're just bugs. No need to cry or anything.
Oh don't even get me started. I was a mess after selling an extremely beloved spider out of necessity, to say nothing of my state when my Euathlus sp.red died last week (I'm currently in denial, I like denial, it works for me). People who call them "just bugs" catch major shade from me.

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 11:15 PM ----------

I bought a large reptile ranch (long horizontal kritter keeper) while returning the medium one explaining that the 3 1/2" T I'm about to get and put in there could be 5" in just one molt. So I figured I'll just get the big one instead of having to upgrade. I chit chat that I'm getting 2 LPs coming about 3 1/2" and 4" and that's why I needed big cages. To which he says well they'll outgrow this one too. While I know that, it's hopefully not until I'm moved and have more room for an actual "critter room". Again I explain that these spiders will still take a couple of years before they are total monsters.

And he goes well if they're small enough to keep them in there together then go for it.

I thought. Wait.... he thinks I'm gonna put 2 immature giant tarantulas together in one cage? Sure I'll throw the rose hair and the pinktoe in there too and they can all play poker and smoke blunts... :o_O:
Well kudos on recognizing this as bad advice. That's impressive for a beginner.
Reminds me of the craigslist thread. Someone came across a guy selling a group of Ts all supposedly living in one tank, like 4 or 5 and I think even a mix of Old and New World. I don't remember who found it, but I'm sure if they see this they can explain it better.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Oh don't even get me started. I was a mess after selling an extremely beloved spider out of necessity, to say nothing of my state when my Euathlus sp.red died last week (I'm currently in denial, I like denial, it works for me). People who call them "just bugs" catch major shade from me.

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 11:15 PM ----------

Well kudos on recognizing this as bad advice. That's impressive for a beginner.
Reminds me of the craigslist thread. Someone came across a guy selling a group of Ts all supposedly living in one tank, like 4 or 5 and I think even a mix of Old and New World. I don't remember who found it, but I'm sure if they see this they can explain it better.
I may be a beginner, and I may be making my few beginner mistakes. (Really pissed off my rose hair tonight rehousing her and she could've been hurt too.)

BUT! I'll say this when I start something, I don't half heart it. Even if I jump in blind I do my homework. The last 8 week's have been tarantula videos, documentaries, books, e books, care sheets, websites, forums.... I have the TKG (2nd edition tho). Michael Jacobi's Tarantulas, I've watched TONS of Jon3800s videos.... I may only have 4.... But I talk like I have 40....

Turns out when a personal trainer/ powerlifter who's a supplement addict, suffers a torn shoulder rotator; will collects tarantulas while he heals.

kellixo

Arachnopeon
While I was checking out the OBTs a local store had, to choose which one I was going to buy, the guy asked if I would like to hold any of them to "get a better feel of their personality before settling on one"
I laughed at first thinking it was a joke and sarcastically replied "be my guest". The guy (who was in his 50s atleast so i stupidly assumed he knew his stuff) actually went to open one of the tanks.
I almost hit the floor in shock. Turned out he was the brother of the owner and had been instructed not to handle any of the animals they where selling without asking his brother first.
Couldn't believe how irresponsible the owner had been, even allowing his brother to deal with customers with no apparent knowledge of the animals. Havent been back since, it makes me feel very uneasy about purchasing anything from someone who would allow their customers to be exposed to a potential bite. Just glad I knew what i was looking at.
He hadn't even asked if I had any experience with tarantulas, was just gona let me stick my hand on in there lol I laugh now but a lot of people with little knowledge wouldnt of questioned the guy and just assumed he wouldn't allow someone to hold an animal which poses a risk to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLover007

Arachnosquire
While I was checking out the OBTs a local store had, to choose which one I was going to buy, the guy asked if I would like to hold any of them to "get a better feel of their personality before settling on one"
I laughed at first thinking it was a joke and sarcastically replied "be my guest". The guy (who was in his 50s atleast so i stupidly assumed he knew his stuff) actually went to open one of the tanks.
I almost hit the floor in shock. Turned out he was the brother of the owner and had been instructed not to handle any of the animals they where selling without asking his brother first.
Couldn't believe how irresponsible the owner had been, even allowing his brother to deal with customers with no apparent knowledge of the animals. Havent been back since, it makes me feel very uneasy about purchasing anything from someone who would allow their customers to be exposed to a potential bite. Just glad I knew what i was looking at.
He hadn't even asked if I had any experience with tarantulas, was just gona let me stick my hand on in there lol I laugh now but a lot of people with little knowledge wouldnt of questioned the guy and just assumed he wouldn't allow someone to hold an animal which poses a risk to them.

Imagine the field day the media would have with this if some child had been bitten due to the dumbassness of this guy!! I dont even want to!!

kellixo

Arachnopeon
Imagine the field day the media would have with this if some child had been bitten due to the dumbassness of this guy!! I dont even want to!!
I'm just glad it was me and not some unfortunate soul who thought they where gona get to try before they buy

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I'm just glad it was me and not some unfortunate soul who thought they where gona get to try before they buy

Did you tell him what that was and that he was a crzy old fool?

kellixo

Arachnopeon
Did you tell him what that was and that he was a crzy old fool?
Yeah that's how it came about that it was his brothers store. What makes it worse is that his brother was in the back room the whole time so really there was no reason the situation ever had to happen. Ridiculous

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Not exactly related to T's, but still in the category of inverts:

I was at my favorite LPS recently to get more seed crickets for my colony, and noticed that they still had the Pandinus imperator that had been there the day I got Ginger. I asked if I could handle her, and the "Fish Expert Guy" proceeded to spin me a yarn about how one sting from said scorpion and I could lose a limb to its necrotic venom. I was tempted to ask if he had ever been stung in the head. :o_O: :bomb:

I would have liked to educate him, but while I suspected he was talking pap, I didn't know enough about scorps at that point to confidently refute him - especially when I didn't have any literature to reference.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Not exactly related to T's, but still in the category of inverts:

I was at my favorite LPS recently to get more seed crickets for my colony, and noticed that they still had the Pandinus imperator that had been there the day I got Ginger. I asked if I could handle her, and the "Fish Expert Guy" proceeded to spin me a yarn about how one sting from said scorpion and I could lose a limb to its necrotic venom. I was tempted to ask if he had ever been stung in the head. :o_O: :bomb:

I would have liked to educate him, but while I suspected he was talking pap, I didn't know enough about scorps at that point to confidently refute him - especially when I didn't have any literature to reference.
The way the guy who sold me my P.imperator scorpling won me over to buy it was by putting it in my hand. Just asked me to hold out my hand and put a scorpling in it o-o; luckily for him I was overcome by cuteness instead of freaking out. I wonder what this Fish Expert would have thought of that. XD

Micrathena

Arachnoknight

<Facepalm>
Some people. Really, now.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
The way the guy who sold me my P.imperator scorpling won me over to buy it was by putting it in my hand. Just asked me to hold out my hand and put a scorpling in it o-o; luckily for him I was overcome by cuteness instead of freaking out. I wonder what this Fish Expert would have thought of that. XD
LOL! I know right? I briefly weighed the pros and cons of just handing over cash, buying the darned thing and handling it immediately out of principal, but that would have been stupid for many obvious reasons. It was fun to fantasize about though. :biggrin:

Now that I've educated myself on them a bit more I really do want to buy one. The specimen they've got does look nice - quite a big one. That being said, if I "rescue" that scorp they're just going to order in another one, and watching Fish Expert Guy talk himself out of a sale can be pretty entertaining. So for the time being at least I will leave that P. imperator where it is. :laugh: He doesn't just do it with inverts, either. One day I heard him plainly dissuading a young mother from buying a pink parakeet. From what I hear that's not a bad thing though - not wanting to initiate a dyed/tattooed animals debate but I prefer not to support the practice and try to discourage people I know from doing it as well. What's wrong with an animal's natural colors? :(

I will say one thing for my LPS though: what they lack in knowledge of inverts and birds they seem to more than make up for in their knowledge of fishkeeping and reptiles. They always have an amazing selection of freshwater fish to choose from, they're always healthy and in the 4 years I've dealt with them for my aquarium needs, I've only ever had to return one fish. Also, the aquariums are always pristine. There's another older guy and a middle-aged woman who work there. The woman is the manager from what I understand - I get the impression that she's one of those idiots with good intentions. "Loves" animals, just can't be arsed to learn much about them. The older guy is all about herps, but when I talk to him about my Ts he seems very interested. Whenever I go in these days he grins at me and says, "What have you added to your collection?" Add to this, their reptiles are well-maintained, look gorgeous and are always captive bred. So yeah, they're not completely useless. :)

Tarantula24

Arachnopeon
Today I had a pet store employee tell me that T. blondi was by far the most long lived T and that it would grow 2-3 feet in legspan.:sarcasm: I just nodded politely.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Today I had a pet store employee tell me that T. blondi was by far the most long lived T and that it would grow 2-3 feet in legspan.:sarcasm: I just nodded politely.
Which was probably a T.stirmi. This sounds like the kind of place that would call a 7" T a baby.

---------- Post added 07-14-2014 at 08:28 PM ----------

LOL! I know right? I briefly weighed the pros and cons of just handing over cash, buying the darned thing and handling it immediately out of principal, but that would have been stupid for many obvious reasons. It was fun to fantasize about though. :biggrin:

Now that I've educated myself on them a bit more I really do want to buy one. The specimen they've got does look nice - quite a big one. That being said, if I "rescue" that scorp they're just going to order in another one, and watching Fish Expert Guy talk himself out of a sale can be pretty entertaining. So for the time being at least I will leave that P. imperator where it is. :laugh: He doesn't just do it with inverts, either. One day I heard him plainly dissuading a young mother from buying a pink parakeet. From what I hear that's not a bad thing though - not wanting to initiate a dyed/tattooed animals debate but I prefer not to support the practice and try to discourage people I know from doing it as well. What's wrong with an animal's natural colors? :(

I will say one thing for my LPS though: what they lack in knowledge of inverts and birds they seem to more than make up for in their knowledge of fishkeeping and reptiles. They always have an amazing selection of freshwater fish to choose from, they're always healthy and in the 4 years I've dealt with them for my aquarium needs, I've only ever had to return one fish. Also, the aquariums are always pristine. There's another older guy and a middle-aged woman who work there. The woman is the manager from what I understand - I get the impression that she's one of those idiots with good intentions. "Loves" animals, just can't be arsed to learn much about them. The older guy is all about herps, but when I talk to him about my Ts he seems very interested. Whenever I go in these days he grins at me and says, "What have you added to your collection?" Add to this, their reptiles are well-maintained, look gorgeous and are always captive bred. So yeah, they're not completely useless. :)
It's Anti-Sales Man. 8D
I mean, I totally agree with well-informed sales people dissuading uninformed, spontaneous would-be buyers but an under-informed sales person dissuading with nonsense is...interesting. I think you need to get this guy on video, he sounds hilarious.

Last edited:

remainpositive

Arachnosquire
Went to the Petco closest to me and I asked to see their little rosie and the ladie acting like she knew everything there is to know about Ts said "You know these bite, right?" I kindly replied with "OHHHH, is that why they have fangs?"

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Went to the Petco closest to me and I asked to see their little rosie and the ladie acting like she knew everything there is to know about Ts said "You know these bite, right?" I kindly replied with "OHHHH, is that why they have fangs?"
i had a new lady at petsmart the other day when i whent to get some frozen bloodworms for my fish. i was eyeballing an avic looked kinda versi and shes like "oh you like those creepy crawlies huh?" i kindly replied "oh i have myself a little zoo" she laughed and asked what i had.. i told her "well if it has a quadroped had scales or a tail and is legal to own its been threw my house one time or another" her jaw dropped and she asked if i kept T's i told her "oh yea i have 8.." i thinbk she peed a little in fear.. she litteraly jumped... she said her bf has been wanting one but it has to be defanged and be leash trained.... i looked at her with the most serious annoyed look iv EVER look [LOL] i told her that defanging is considered animal abuse [shes dumb how should she know better] and that if she got a tarantula to walk on a leash.. id like a video i know 20k+ ppl [AB ofcourse] who would like to see it sit and heel...
:3

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

---------- Post added 07-14-2014 at 08:28 PM ----------

It's Anti-Sales Man. 8D
I mean, I totally agree with well-informed sales people dissuading uninformed, spontaneous would-be buyers but an under-informed sales person dissuading with nonsense is...interesting. I think you need to get this guy on video, he sounds hilarious.
I almost think I'd pay for a video of that. LOL