Silkworm food recipe

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Posting content on a message board website would not be considered teaching or research in court. Is this site registered nonprofit? A recipe without measurements and explanation would be useless even if it would skirt the legal definition.
Why dont you at least share the titles of these books, then?

I would be happy to look them up and write up the recipe for the people here to use for noncommercial purposes(fair use) because I understand the law and dont hide behind cop outs. :)

(And I also believe that information should not be hidden behind pay walls...or in 50 page "books"... Care information and food recipes should not be charged for, they should be circulated to the hobby to be built upon, refined, and discussed.)

I would be willing to bet it is something along the lines of.
Probably, but it would be nice to know an established recipe, and because recipes arent subject to copyright... ;)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, you could always experiment yourself. Thats how recipes are made.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone other than me still curious about what books E&A has found recipes in?

Pssh

Arachnoknight
If you do a little research you will find that just about any books with such recipes in them are very expensive. I have not found one for less than $200, but I am not looking very hard.

There is more to the recipes than just dried powdered leaves and agar agar. There are a number of other ingredients that are required for nutrition, attractants, biting factors, and for digestibility. I'm working on something myself, but I don't want to say anything definitively about it without testing it first.

Edit: egging her/him on isn't going to make her/him want to post it any more. This odd behavior puts me off from posting any informational leads as well.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you do a little research you will find that just about any books with such recipes in them are very expensive. I have not found one for less than $200, but I am not looking very hard.
That is pretty much what I expected... But Im more curious into which specific books E&A, the font of information he is, refers to in this case, Im his #1 fan.
Edit: egging her/him on isn't going to make her/him want to post it any more. This odd behavior puts me off from posting any informational leads as well.
Im really not trying to egg him(I believe that is the correct pronoun) on... I am frustrated by a trend in his behavior and asking him for information invariably has ended in failure thus far, but he claims his information to be better than other sources...so it sounds like it would be a good thing to share. Thus I feel compelled to continue in my quest for informative posts. ;) If you have informational leads, I would greatly appreciate a PM if you are uneasy about publicly sharing. :)
There is more to the recipes than just dried powdered leaves and agar agar. There are a number of other ingredients that are required for nutrition, attractants, biting factors, and for digestibility. I'm working on something myself, but I don't want to say anything definitively about it without testing it first.
Thank you, this is the most informative part of a post in this thread!

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Copyrights are not immortal.
An expired copyright frees something from its restrictions.

The question is:

How new are these recipes?
Are ALL of them still so recent that they ALL remain under copyright?

And,if all of them are,well...

When will they be free?

Tiana

Arachnopeon
I have books with silkworm food recipes. It seems hard to believe that someone could order in a ton from overseas and save money. The ingredients aren't that expensive.
Hi Elytra and Antenna, I know this was back in 2010 but if you still have this book, i would love love love the title or author. Please & thank you in advance :)

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I manage to raise silkworm but my formula is incomplete because they will only get to large size but die in metamorphic stage.

I mix milk, agar agar, yeast water and sugar. I tried making powder mulberry leaves but it did not work for me. They did not eat it. Also, if you observe the chow they eat when you buy a cup it does not look like it has raw malburry in it. My formula is still incomplete.

ChollyMo

Arachnopeon

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
BTW, Silkworm diet (from the land of silk production). Mulberry leaves, Carrots, Silkworm Chow, Iceberg lettuce, Violet leaves, Beetroot leaves. ONLY Mulberry can be solely fed to the larvae. All alternatives should be mixed. Silkworm chow, web search for recipies, contains Mulberry. Dandelion leaves have been added at times.

BearBrad

Arachnopeon
From a bit of Googling I came across an expired patent whose main focus was patenting silkworm feed without mulberry in it. But in the documented experiments for this feed, they use a recipe (Feed A) which does include dried mulberry leaves as a basis for comparison. The patent is Method of raising silkworms on artificial feed - US3488196. The patent, others it references, and patents that reference it are an interesting read. Some include other feed recipes (i.e. 32% mulberry, 10% crushed soybean, 58% other "additional perishable ingredients"). Other pertinent expired patents include Process for preparing food for silk worms - US1990343 from 1935 and Feeding silkworm larvae feed containing propionic acid - US3295983. Both have recipes that might be worth trying.

The patent descriptions on those links appear to have been generated by OCR of the original docs. The tables are unrecognizable. Just look at the PDF version of the patent to see the info in a more readable form.