Silk Plants - chemical worries?

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I searched silk plants and didn't find this but maybe I searched wrong. (I don't go back to the beginning of time.)

Anyway - I have pieces of cork bark in new arborial sling set ups. But these are a bit too small and I don't think the slings will use them. I have trouble breaking off pieces of the bark I have currently (and no I can't use a hacksaw. mmmm' k? :tongue: )

anyay I thought I should just pick up a plant at hobby lobby. But I'm still not sure - I know people use them but do you do anything to reduce the possiblity of chemical residue on the plant? I don't know if these places spray an anti-insect spray on them (maybe for moths?) Or if residue from other sources could have somehow got on them.

Am I being too parinoid? What do silk plant users do? Do you guys just buy em and stick em in or do you treat them somehow first?

Thanks
- Sharon
PS (you can laugh at me as long as your nice about it and have a constructive comment. :) )

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I searched silk plants and didn't find this but maybe I searched wrong. (I don't go back to the beginning of time.)

Anyway - I have pieces of cork bark in new arborial sling set ups. But these are a bit too small and I don't think the slings will use them. I have trouble breaking off pieces of the bark I have currently (and no I can't use a hacksaw. mmmm' k? :tongue: )

anyay I thought I should just pick up a plant at hobby lobby. But I'm still not sure - I know people use them but do you do anything to reduce the possiblity of chemical residue on the plant? I don't know if these places spray an anti-insect spray on them (maybe for moths?) Or if residue from other sources could have somehow got on them.

Am I being too parinoid? What do silk plant users do? Do you guys just buy em and stick em in or do you treat them somehow first?

Thanks
- Sharon
PS (you can laugh at me as long as your nice about it and have a constructive comment. :) )
Why would you want to use a hacksaw?! Wouldn't look natural then! Don't worry I have trouble breaking it too.

Just wash them off with soap and water. I've had no ill effects. I have recently switched from fake plants to real plants though.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Just rinse them with water only (avoid soap, especially with silk plants or any with fabric parts).
Make sure they aren't the scented kind.