Signs of premolt?

Levixthxn13

Arachnopeon
Hey, new keeper here. My D Pentaloris has been hanging out in its hide and burrow for a couple of weeks now and hasn’t been eating. It’s colors on its abdomen are super dull and there’s a small shiny spot right in the middle, as pictured, just wondering if these are signs of premolt, thanks

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If its not eating, just wait, it will eventually molt, when isnt much of concern at the end of the day. Just sit back, relax, grab and book and wait for it when ever it does molt. Keep the water dish full and continue with your normal care

Levixthxn13

Arachnopeon
The shiny spot is the tarantula's mirror patch. As for not eating, could be pre-moult, could be full.
Okay, it’s just weird to me because it’s not interested in food whatsoever. Alive, prekilled doesn’t matter it just runs away, or digs deeper underneath of its hide. It is terrestrial so I know it’s normal for it to hang out in its hide most of the time especially with it being so young, but it never leaves and like I said just runs away from food, that’s why I’m just assuming it’s premolt, I’ve done a lot of research on it but there’s not a solid answer, I’m waiting and I’m leaving it alone. And I say “it” because it hasn’t been sexed yet.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, it’s just weird to me because it’s not interested in food whatsoever
It’s not weird at all. You haven’t done enough research as this behavior is shown by all Ts. It’s asked all the time on AB. Doesn’t hurt to ask, doesn’t hurt to keep searching.

look at all that data I found FOR YOU. See how easy that was :rofl: :bored: B5A116CC-09BD-4943-9EBA-3193D8319B85.png

I’ve done a lot of research on it but there’s not a solid answer
Yes there is- what search terms did you use???

And I say “it” because it hasn’t been sexed yet.
No one cares if you call it she, he or it. If someone does get annoyed with you, tell them to mind their own biz. The world is overly concerned with things that do not matter in T world.

Last edited:

Levixthxn13

Arachnopeon
It’s not weird at all. You haven’t done enough research as this behavior is shown by all Ts. It’s asked all the time on AB. Doesn’t hurt to ask, doesn’t hurt to keep searching.

look at all that data I found FOR YOU. See how easy that was :rofl: :bored: View attachment 405420

Yes there is- what search terms did you use???

No one cares if you call it she, he or it. If someone does get annoyed with you, tell them to mind their own biz. The world is overly concerned with things that do not matter in T world.
I’ve looked all of that up, just wanted to know if it’s a sign of premolt, a lot of things that I’ve searched have said many different things, I’m not concerned about the just not eating part, just the behavior in general. I’ve searched everything that it has been doing and there’s no solid answer. There’s answer such as: premolt, fasting, stress, etc. There’s a different answer every time. I came on here to ask the veterans of the hobby if it sounds like it could be premolt. I know how to use google, I’m not stupid. I know how to read. As it doesn’t hurt to ask, it also doesn’t hurt to be helpful, which you may have thought you were but the “look at the data I found FOR YOU see how easy that was” it’s just plain dumb for you to do. You think I haven’t googled why? Come on now. Be helpful to someone who just started the hobby several weeks ago and answer questions to help them, not belittle them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There’s a different answer every time
I think the important thing here is for you to know the following: there’s virtually no scientific research done on the physiology of Ts. This is why you are reading various answers to the same question. One guy has a fat T, it molts tomorrow- he says- pre-molt. Another guy has a fat T- doesn't molt for over a year (like a few of mine) peeps tell you- you have a fat and satiated T. Same question, different answers due to different experiences.

Taxonomy, and venom studies are the main subjects of funding. Physiology is barely studied compared to the other 2.

These animals are literally black boxes with 8 legs when it comes to “what’s wrong” type of questions.

This is largely why you see various answers to the same question. There are many other questions that will be just like this one!

Im not trying to belittle you. I expect people who have done research to come here and say “my T has been acting this way…based on my research it could be X Y Z, what do you guys think it is, here are my pics.”

You partially did the above-
More than most do.

maybe your T is full, maybe it’s premolt, only your T knows for sure :rofl: as usual.

I know how to use google, I’m not stupid
I don’t assume people know how to search. Many people come on here saying they have “done the research”, yet they haven’t.

Or they don’t know how to use google to search WITHIN a specific website as I did for that search I posted. Maybe you knew that already maybe not.

Either way, I’ve seen enough peeps that can’t search if their life depended on it. Sooo the result is I no longer assume the OP knows how to search.

Id rather not assume, then assume have you miss out.

In my line of work I am searching constantly for the smallest bits of hard to find data.

Most people don’t know how to search effectively at all!

Lastly, whether your T eats or not, there’s nothing you can do but monitor, and observe various changes in behavior as we all do, you’ve already done a bit of that so you’re off to a better start than many new peeps here.

good luck!

Last edited:

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Honestly, I think I've given up on looking for signs of premolt. I've had three spiders (number four is pending) in the last 2 weeks molt with no warning, they all ate and acted "normal" right up until there was suddenly a new exoskeleton in the enclosure. You'll get to know what's "normal" behavior for your t and if/when you do, lethargic or less activity than its "normal", more reclusive behavior, those are my biggest indicators. Dull coloration is a sign I'm used to seeing, yes, but without a photo to compare, I can't tell if those colors are dull or not. Super pretty spood, by the way!

From my experience, and those of pretty much everyone else on this site, not eating can be premolt OR its just a stuffed t :) Overfeeding a tarantula can result in fasting, in which case your tarantula will likely stop eating until its next molt. That has been supported by my experiences. Worry as much as you'd like about it not eating, heaven knows I do, but just know that there is absolutely no possible way your spider is going to starve.

Good luck! Happy Hobbying! :angelic:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Honestly, I think I've given up on looking for signs of premolt.

This one of the smartest things an owner can do. If I know it's pre-molt, and there are clear signs with my Avics- I make sure I take appropriate action, and let them do their thing. And, as you said, and many of us experienced, sometimes they molt w/out obvious signs at times.