Signs of Pending Molt

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems as though my Avicularia Versicolor 1" slings have a gradual absence of blue pigmentation in the patterns on their opisthosomas(opisthosomae?). About a week after they first molt, the patterns are very dark. Then, they become lighter over time and eventually the T molts. Could this possibly be a future key to making a rough estimate of when a Versi molts, or am I just hallucinating?

P.S.
Please do not bash or flame me if I'm wrong.

jennafuller

Arachnopeon
I think mine is about to molt (just made a tunnel web). It's super dark (blackish) and the markings are a gray. I definitely hope the color change is temporary.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well a Ts coloring does fade as it approaches a molt so the patterning might also. However, I'm no expert.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of the pigments will fade and their abdomen will get very dark underneath. It will most likely make itself a good platform/ tube to molt on/ in. It will usually refuse more than one feeding, but with those little ones you never know. Ours molted just a day after eating this past month and it is much bigger than yours, with full adult coloring for the past two molts.

After it molts, it will be back to its bluey goodness again. Don't mess with it, or the enclosure(until you have a bit more experience under your belt resist the urge to get the molt immediately after ;) ) for a week after the molt and then try feeding it. Over the next couple molts watch its behavior after the molt and I bet you will start to be able to tell by their body language whether they are hardened and hungry. ;) They get into what I like to call their 'hunting pose' and you can learn to recognize it.:)