Signs of Dehydration?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been experimenting with keeping arachnids and centipedes in large jars. There is no water dishes for now, just occasional misting. I know this can work on soil due to others experience, but as some of you know, I've been experimenting with keeping centipedes on gravel. I expect the centipedes will obtain their moisture in the same way as they would on soil, but I want to be ready just in case something goes wrong.

What are some signs that a centipede is beginning to become dehydrated?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone think dehydration is unlikely if I mist every few days?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what kind of pede is it?
I've got an Alipes sp. in a jar setup right now, and I'm planning to put my Ethmostigmus trigonopodus in one too, as soon as I get the kinks worked out.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my keepers in large jars too but i give them a cap in which i pour water. It should work for both alipes and ethmostigmus ssp. Give them lots of substrate so in the worst case, they'll burry where the substrate is more humid.

phil.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
both those seem to be drier end centipedes

i consider centipedes as obligate refugers... really, i treat them as obligate burrowers, but there is just enough evidence out there to make me think they can do ok with just a hide, sometimes.

i think you would lose considerably less centipedes and have much better breeding chances if you gave them a chance to burrow and dropped ventilation so that they will surface more