Signs of Aggression?

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wondering what signs of aggresion are...

It's funny I have only 1 T a G.rosea and he seems very docile (when I get him out of his cage) it's just inside i worry.

When I bought him I was told to blow on him to get him to move, which worked. But then here on the site someone told me DONT becuase it puts them on the defensive. So I haven't but how do I move him, well I get a pen out and push him on his butt, around his spindels or right on them...now here is where it gets weird...sometimes he just saunders along as I push him...other times he turns quickly (no action just turns quickly to face the pen) and sometimes when he turns he raises a leg (not sure if he is looking to step up or if he is going into an somewhat warning stance....it is his 2nd leg that he usually raises.

Neway what spooked me was he was sitting on his log all extended out...so i put my hand on the other side of the cage and got my pen...i went to touch his bootey but the second I hit one of his hairs he BOLTED (he is about 4 inch legspan) faster then i could blink and slammed into my palm :) my hand was out quicker then *$&# (had he wanted to bite me i think i would have 2 holes in my palm right now) anyway, when I jerked my hand out he was pretty much off of it....the scene went, he bolted in...hit my palm said "oops" then stepped out then i reacted (it was THAT FAST) neway..he just stood there after the fact, later i did pick him up, i told myself that I had just startled him and he ran into me on accident...

but last night i went to nudge him so i could get him on my hand and he turned to face the pen....so i pushed him from the other side and he moved toward his burrow (he never uses it under his log) well when he got down there he stopped moving...even with more pressure applied and he brought all his legs in....

is bringing his legs in (almost like this so called death stance, like when they die) is this a sign like "DONT $&#* with me"?

I read if they rear up or flick hairs it is a sign of aggression, thus far Harry has never done either...he has raised 1 leg before but just up and down almost like he is looking for something to step on (after i have been trying to move him with the pen)...

he is happy as can be once he is on my hand... he walks and walks no problem....and when i usually put him back IN the cage he then decides he was having more fun out so he goes to climb back out onto my hand when offered...but otherwise I almost feel like I am invading his home when trying to get him which I don't think he likes, but I just don't know....

anyone have any tips/signs to look for for "dont touch me"?
-Allen

Last edited:

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say hideing from you curling his legs over his eyes is a don't touch me posture .

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
he doesn't go INTO his burrow, but he does bring his legs in under him/tight to his body so I can't see his top...and yeah thats what I figured...and I leave him be when he does that...he seems moody :D

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that's a rosie!

As you'll learn after reading some more posts on this forum - rosehairs are extremely RANDOM by nature. I've got a rosie also, who exhibits similar behavior sometimes.

Typically, if I want to handle him, i'll open the cage, and brush his back legs with my finger - if he starts walking normally, i'll continue to brush his legs until he walks onto my hand.

Sometimes - he will react strangely to being brushed - either by being extremely skittish, or by scrunching up like you described.l If this is the case, I close the cage back up and let him be until later.

If he's in a "mood" - i figure it's better to leave him alone than to risk a bite, or have him bolt off my hand and to his death.

Bottom line - rosies are weird.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by atmosphere
I would say hideing from you curling his legs over his eyes is a don't touch me posture .
haha classic:D

In my experience with rosies, raising legs and flicking hairs tend to be defense orientated than acts of aggression.

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i used "aggression" a little too broadly..i shoulda said "signs of DONT *$&% with me!" :D