Sign of species willing to hybrid?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some pictures of my mature male OBT and one of my bird eater species ( I forgot which one) but when i came home this is how they were. Usually my OBT goes scurrying into its burrow when it sees me but i guess since it noticed my bird eater on the other side it just stayed there. I was able to take as many pictures as I wanted but only a few good ones came out. They even stayed there while i feed the bird eater crickets and after i turned out the lights they were still in the same position its crazy. i love these pictures I call em "half and half." Do you think mature male tarantulas have such a one track mind that they might try to mate with different genuses? This is just a guess from my pictures...

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure but I think only animals that belong to the same genus can hybrid. even if your OBT and the other mated, I don't think they would produce any offspring.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Put them in together. Make sure you have video running. {D
I got a nickle on the unknown bird species. ;P

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Put them in together. Make sure you have video running. {D
I got a nickle on the unknown bird species. ;P
Even though i wouldnt mind trying that (besides the sides the fact that they will probably fight and the male will probably die lol) I dont even know if the other one is a female or male...so I'm not going to even try it... I love the pictures.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am thinking "Dear God, please not another hybridization thread ."

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
First of all, this is a P. murinis and a L. parahybana.

The OBT is a mature male, while the L. parahybana doesn't even look big enough to breed.

These are from two entirely different continents on completely opposite corners of the world which have been seperated for millions of years by two oceans each of which are bigger than both continents combined.

They are in no way related; a simple search would have told you this. Another quick search would have even told you that species that are actually related in some way, shape or form actually have a chance at hybridizing. Yet another 5 second search (or a scan of the breeding reports forums, even) would have told you mating rituals for both species of spiders so you could have come up with your own answer of unequivocally no in less than half the time it took for this thread to get a single reply.

All the research I mentioned above should have been done before you decided to breed or even before you got the spiders.

You should not be breeding if you don't even care enough to research how your spiders are related and how they act, much less hybridizing (which is just a plain idea, even for more experienced hobbiests-PM me if you'd like to comment on this part).

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to look at this before I go into a seziure.

Last edited:

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting pics, but I think its just coincidence. The OBT and para would have absolutely NO interest in each other. Different species, and different 'secret passwords'. Possibly they reacted to the vibrations of the others movement, or to the prey in the other enclosure. They just happened to rest in nearly the same location of each enclosure. My opinion, anyway.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL, dont have a seizure Cheshire, just quit looking. Hopefully, this DOESNT degenerate into a hybrid/cross-breed thread.