Sigmoria aberrans - Red Sided Millipede - HELP NEEDED!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i have one of these and it's injured. :( it stopped oozing fluid but it doesn't look like it's doing well. is there anything i can do? my STUPID DOG! stepped on it. these are native all over here and i just feel horrible.

any suggestions? i would truly appreciate it. i have it on damp peat moss with some kale and parsley.

thanks. :/

...please help.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by skadiwolf
wow...what an amazing amount of help. :(
Ummm you did notice that it was 3 AM when you posted?

Not really a millipede person, I would suggest keeping it warm and humid with a readily available water supply. Basically in an ICU.

If it's still leaking fluid, you're gonna want to seal it somehow. I would assume that using superglue or nail hardener would work for them as well, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Scott

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I know that with Ts they uses hot glue gun, but I don't know if it would be ok with a milli, and if it would stick on it too.

Frank

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've heard of people using super glue and new skin for treatment, even tissue paper but a hot glue gun??? I've never heard that before... IMO that would just injure them more, as the glue is quite hot and will blister any skin, and what it would do to exposed internal organs... I think hot glue would pretty much seal the fate of the patient.......

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, maybe you're right, I just thought that I heard that a long time ago that people were using hot glue gun to seal their Ts' problems.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL, yeah, I'd strongly advise against a hot glue gun. Honest mistake though right Frank?

I think the general ICU pretty much applies with any invert if there is no other readily available, species specific information.

Just like Scott said, make sure it's nice and warm, keep the humidity high. You can actually quarantine it in a clean deli cup, use damp paper towell moistened with clean water to keep the humidity high. Place it in a safe, dim or dark area. From there, just try not to disturb or stress the animal and hope for the best.

Good luck Skadi. I'm sure your dog didn't mean it though.

Atrax

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I suggest moist leaf litter as a substrate if it's still alive. I'm not sure a traditional tarantula-style ICU is going to do much for a millipede. They tend to nibble at their substrate, and paper toweling may not be good for them to ingest. My experience with polydesmids is limited, but the few I've tried to keep didn't do well when kept like most of the pet trade species.

Wade