Sick videos on Youtube

sja69

Arachnopeon
It amazes me how many ignorant people there are out there. Every time I go on YouTube to look for
videos on Tarantula care & handling, I always seem to come across a video of someone filming a
Tarantula & Scorpion or 2 Tarantulas fighting till the death, while these idiots are laughing in the
background.
The other day I typed in 'Brachypelma Albopolisum' and on the first page there was a video of some
Russian kid putting a fully grown mouse (which was actually bigger than the Tarantula) into the tank.
I actually watched this because I thought that there was no way that the T was going to go for the
mouse - not at that size. But I was wrong, and a disturbing fight ensued which resulted in the pair
rolling about and a nightmarish squealing coming from the mouse.
There was also another similar video, though a bit grainy, where the mouse looked even bigger and
the noise from the suffering mouse was like something out of a nightmare. I couldn't believe what I
was seeing and hearing.
Anyway, every time I come across these kinds of videos I flag and report them as animal abuse, so
hopefully they will get taken down. Has anyone else come across these?

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
Yes, I've seen them before. I've even seen a video that "tested" an OBT's venom by putting a 3 inch specimen with a nearly full grown mouse. I mean it's understandable to feed large tarantulas such as T. Blondi mice occasionally but the majority of the stuff on YouTube is unnecesary.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
yeah, It completely pisses me off....I seen this one video the other day of a A. Chacolades being bugged the sh*t out of by these dudes who thought it would be funny to keep poking at it with a stick while it was desperately in flee for its life....Those are the ones that deserve to get bit and stung.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Flag and report the videos under Animal Abuse. I flag every video I see like that, and then send an email with the video URL to the administrators of YouTube basically explaining that Tarantulas are in fact animals, peoples pets, and that its cruel and inhumane treatment of the animals being shown in those videos. Although many see it as just "bugs", it's the same as dog fighting, rooster fighting, etc.

I usually have a few friends copy cat the flagging also, just to get the point across.

. I mean it's understandable to feed large tarantulas such as T. Blondi mice occasionally
Actually you are setting a T.blondi up for molting issues because of the calcium that is absorbed from the mouse, or any other T to be honest. T.blondi are susceptible to wet molts even without the added calcium. It's like playing roulette with your T's life.

Also there is a chance that the tarantula could be injured if the mouse is large enough to cause issues. Even a smaller mouse can cause significant injury. I know of a time when a small mouse actually killed a Ball Python once, it's amazing how those fuzzy little cuties can break bad on something when it's life is in danger.

Last edited:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
In response to it not being ok to ever feed your T's mice, I dont think that statement is absolute. I know of a few experienced breeders who feed females of large species(theraphosa & lasiodora) a mouse immediately prior to a mating attempt to reduce the chances of the male getting eaten. It seems to work for the most part from whats been observed, with no bad molts.

As for the videos on youtube, those things disgust me. Animals killing animals is one thing, but when its for people entertainment its just sick. I especially hate japanesebugfights. It amazes me how closed minded people are when they cant see that anything that moves is a living creature just like them. Somehow when an animals body is arranged in a dramatically different way than a humans, people just lose any sense of compassion for it. Sad face ------> :(

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
No it's not.
Actually, it's fine to feed them a mouse every once in a great while... Not like they don't occasionally eat them in the wild. Besides, there really isn't much difference between a mouse and a cricket. They both die the same way... It's the circle of life, no reason to make it out to be more. I understand the argument of how it could make molting harder, but once every year or two isn't going to kill it. I feed my Redknee frogs every now and again.

I do however hate all these videos about tarantula's vs ... well whatever they think would get views. There's sooo much more to tarantula's than that. I honestly like watching mine web and explore more than I do actually watching them feed, though occasionally there is a good chase.

Anyways, just my opinion on the subject.

orzechova

Arachnopeon
Besides, there really isn't much difference between a mouse and a cricket. They both die the same way... It's the circle of life, no reason to make it out to be more.
mice are fluffy and they have big wet eyes,do they suffer more than a cricket that is just a stupid bug-that's what the most people think. I've read some articles about how the invertebrates feel pain,but as far as I know the scientists are still not agreeable about it;

however, when feeding my spider [i know that it would eat even a carcass] i feel kind of obliged to minimize the risk of it being injured, and i also don't find it funny to watch and hear the mouse suffering. [i'm lazy-it's far easier to feed a female before mating with mouse than with 20 roaches] that's why i personally kill the mouse with co2. it may be stupid, but i think this kind of death is less painful and much faster for the mouse, so i don't feel pangs of conscience.

imo, people who make this kind of vids - 6cm L.parahybana struggling with an adult mouse [or a chick] may be stupid- child-minded who want to impress their friends with the killer spider they own-or also may be psychopaths who draw satisfaction watching something suffering badly [and in few years may torture human, should be immediately put in prison for life :cool:]

PS. forgive me my mistakes-i'm not very good at english ;)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, it's fine to feed them a mouse every once in a great while... Not like they don't occasionally eat them in the wild. Besides, there really isn't much difference between a mouse and a cricket. They both die the same way... It's the circle of life, no reason to make it out to be more. I understand the argument of how it could make molting harder, but once every year or two isn't going to kill it. I feed my Redknee frogs every now and again.

I do however hate all these videos about tarantula's vs ... well whatever they think would get views. There's sooo much more to tarantula's than that. I honestly like watching mine web and explore more than I do actually watching them feed, though occasionally there is a good chase.

Anyways, just my opinion on the subject.
Using the reasoning of "it happens in the wild" doesn't make any argument valid whether it be feeding or anything else. They aren't in the wild, they're in captivity.

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im not sure deliberate 'cruelty' to invertebrates is illegal as a general rule but aside what amazes me is the display of ignorance under such videos.

firstly the enjoyment of deliberately setting up a fight is somewhat twisted but i guess as many people like watching two men kick each other half to death in a ring its hardly surprising that armour plated, huge jawed or stingered bugs will be subject to the same treatment.

Im aways dismayed at the comments, they will vary from those condemning the fight but saying 'i'd kill you if i met you' to the instigator of the bug fight, right through to 'ugh, horrid things, i'd just stamp on them both'.

never a sane medium on youtube.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I've seen them before. I've even seen a video that "tested" an OBT's venom by putting a 3 inch specimen with a nearly full grown mouse. I mean it's understandable to feed large tarantulas such as T. Blondi mice occasionally but the majority of the stuff on YouTube is unnecesary.
I personally do not agree to feeding live mice to T's, yet I have fed a live mice to my monitor lizard (3'5") which I don't like doing but he went off of frozen mice for a while.

I can understand when an animal is so large it needs large food, but a tarantula (with the exception of the giants) should never need a full grown live mouse... pinkies are fine.

A tarantula that is capable of taking a large mouse will still make it suffer more than having it's neck broken by the crushing jaws of a large lizard.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Using the reasoning of "it happens in the wild" doesn't make any argument valid whether it be feeding or anything else. They aren't in the wild, they're in captivity.
It's plenty valid... You think just because they are in captivity that they should be fed only part of what they would eat in the wild? How's that fair? That's like you being in captivity and only given Vegetables because they are healthier... Wouldn't you like to have a nice steak or some sizzling bacon? The only reason I feel people have a problem with feeding mice is that they are mammals and are considered adorable to many. And oh it sounds terrible when they die. I agree with you, it does sound terrible. But it's still a staple in there diet and I will not ignore that

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im not sure deliberate 'cruelty' to invertebrates is illegal as a general rule .
Sadly so. Federal , as well as many State and Local laws, fail to mention inverts in their "general" examples of animals listed.

However, with YouTube, I have seen those videos taken down when enough people complain and flag the videos. Especially when there are several emails sent to the administration of YouTube with the explanation that the inverts are in fact, living animals.

Not saying it always happens, but it does happen enough to notice that someone in YouTube land cares about animals, no matter the classification.

Now the bug fighting websites, that is an entirely different monster unfortunately. :(

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's plenty valid... You think just because they are in captivity that they should be fed only part of what they would eat in the wild? How's that fair? That's like you being in captivity and only given Vegetables because they are healthier... Wouldn't you like to have a nice steak or some sizzling bacon? The only reason I feel people have a problem with feeding mice is that they are mammals and are considered adorable to many. And oh it sounds terrible when they die. I agree with you, it does sound terrible. But it's still a staple in there diet and I will not ignore that
Well don't ignore the fact that they could come across birds in the wild. So go buy some baby birds and feed them to your T also. Just because it comes across it in the wild, doesn't make it the staple. Staple means the main diet anyway, not an occasional feeding.

CB spiders are not in the wild nor have they ever been. So saying a mouse is a staple is completely untrue. I'll use your example. If I were in captivity and was fed only vegetables from the time I was born until now, I would never know that steak or bacon ever even existed much less even know what it is or that I had the opportunity to eat it. Now apply that to a CB spider, not only does it not know that mice exist, it does not crave them.

Do you feed your spiders WC prey from your yard?

It rains in the wild, floods also. Am I gonna dump a gallon of water into my Ts enclosure? No. Is that fair?

My dogs would probably eat deer crap if they were in the wild. Does this make it a staple? No. Do I need to feed it to them? No. Just like my dog, you're spider is not in the wild. It is in your care. So the argument of "it happens in the wild" is not valid.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well that is your opinion, I will stick with mine ;)
Actually those were facts, not opinions ;)

I'm curious how anyone even knows they come across mice in the wild. Do the arboreal species come across them? No. I'm sure many tarantulas in the wild NEVER cross paths with a mouse. Has it been documented? Honestly the "it happens in the wild" argument is an excuse to do it. I don't think anyone feeds mice because it happens in the wild, but because mice are the available alternative. Saying "it happens in the wild" is just a way to justify it. If pet stores sold "feeder geckos" and they were common such as mice, and no one used mice as feeders, then your argument would be exactly the same. In reality, it's the availability why people do it. Simply put.

I doubt tarantulas come across mice as much as people like to say they do.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm still waiting for documentation on the whole calcium thing which no one to date has provided, otherwise this whole, ahem, debate is a wash. So...anybody have said documentation?

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Ive always found tarantula's to be oppotunistic when it came to food and prey items.

browny95

Arachnopeon
I Totally agree... When i see these videos they utterly piss me off even so when they are laughing in the background :mad: