sick tarantula??

wollywoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hiya, i have a problem with my G rosea (for once!!!) I really desturbed her a little while ago bout 4 weeks i think, since then she's been really moody, she has recently molted and wont come very far out from under her bark. I'm starting to worry cause her abdomen is getting a bit 2 small and I never see her near her water bowl. What can I do? Her substrate is too dry but I'm worried to change it cause I don't know whats wrong with her. I'm spraying it alot and keeping it at 60%. What is the matter with her or am I yet again worrying unduly. When she stuck herself on the side of the tank back when she actually moved, i thought i saw a drip of water looking stuff by her abdomen. I couldn't see any wounds and I don't handle her so she hasn't had any falls to my knowledge

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would leave her be, make sure her water dish is always full, I would stop misting, once it has been a week to ten days post molt try feeding her...

Regards, Mike

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm spraying it alot and keeping it at 60%
This is why she doesn't want to come out! They hate anything wet besides their water bowl. The substrate needs to be bone dry. :embarrassed:

After they've molted, you shouldn't disturb or feed them for 2-3 weeks to be safe. Just keep the water dish full and leave it be. Once that much time has passed (or if the T stands near the front of the enclosure and you can see that the fangs are black again), you can start feeding again.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, don't mist a rosehair, they hate water anywhere but in their food dish. She is probably hiding from the water.
Let her dry out a little and then in a couple of days offer food. She should eat. If she does not eat after that, it could be a rosie fast.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my rosie gets mad whenever I change the substrate and won't come off her log until its dry {D

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
...and I never see her near her water bowl.
I've never seen my T drink from his water bowl, either, i know it is going down because i have a rock in there for the crickets to not drown on. just throw in a *CLEAN* rock, and look at the water level every day. I'm sure urs is drinking. :)

TomChris

Arachnopeon
Sick/Dying Tarantula

Hello. This may be off the subject, but I am beyond the point of desperation. We have an unidentified Asian species (possibly) He is a male, and it looks like he is dying. He lost a leg first, and now they are all curling up and bent. His body his a bit crooked as well. He can barely use his legs. What is going on? Is he sick or could it be old age. His name is Midas, and it is breaking my heart to see him like that. He is putting up a strong fight with whatever this is. Please help. Should I just accept the inevitable?

Thank you for your help.

Tom and Christa

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello. This may be off the subject, but I am beyond the point of desperation. We have an unidentified Asian species (possibly) He is a male, and it looks like he is dying. He lost a leg first, and now they are all curling up and bent. His body his a bit crooked as well. He can barely use his legs. What is going on? Is he sick or could it be old age. His name is Midas, and it is breaking my heart to see him like that. He is putting up a strong fight with whatever this is. Please help. Should I just accept the inevitable?

Thank you for your help.

Tom and Christa
im still new to the hobby, but it given that it is a male it just sounds like old age to me, personally. if its legs are going into death curl its only a matter of time.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm so sorry, but it does sound as if he is just old. There really isn't anything you can do.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
male

Tom and Crista, it sounds like you have a male dying of old age. Probably best to pop him in the freezer for half-hour and end his suffering. I think its the kindest thing to do for him.

tarangela2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Back to Woolywoo!

She should eat. If she does not eat after that, it could be a rosie fast.
i had a rosie 'fast' for 57 days and then it only ate two crix every couple of weeks. maybe it has a tummy ache :rolleyes:

i haven't seen many Ts drink but they do - just not when you are watching :p

PS - T&C it sounds like your T is indeed old and dying, so sorry

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tom and Crista, it sounds like you have a male dying of old age. Probably best to pop him in the freezer for half-hour and end his suffering. I think its the kindest thing to do for him.
so sorry for your loss, but the freezer does sound pretty nice to that t, i'd guess. tarantulas usually die slowly, so freezer speed it up. the asian spiders are so beautiful, too... :(

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Thank you for your help.

Tom and Christa

Is there any way you can post a picture? I would rather you do that so we can see if indeed he is a ultimate male before you stick him in the freezer. Also could you provide more info on how you are keeping him and in what. Thank you.

Steph

TomChris

Arachnopeon
Midas (sick tarantula)

Unfortunately, I am unable to post a picture. I tried before, but it wouldn't go through. He is rather large, brown, and I did take him to someone who knew about tarantulas. He said that he was a mature male and ready to mate. Weeks after that visit, Midas became sick like he is now. He is in a round, plastic cage because I was always afraid he would climb too high and get hurt. We got him at an expo. He was way too skinny. I didn't know what he was, but the seller called him an "Earth Eater." I never heard of that one. When I asked for his scientific name, the seller said he didn't get into all of that. So, out oif pity, Midas came home with us. He thrived well for a long time. This happened all of a sudden. I will try to post a picture again. I hope it works. And I hope this information gave you some idea. Thank you so much for responding. I can't believe how hard he is fighting to live.

Tom and Christa

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So you do know for a fact he's a ultimate male....in that case yeah I'm sorry his time must be up:( . I am curious to see a picture if you can post one. Take care

Steph

TomChris

Arachnopeon
Midas

so sorry for your loss, but the freezer does sound pretty nice to that t, i'd guess. tarantulas usually die slowly, so freezer speed it up. the asian spiders are so beautiful, too... :(
Thank everyone for your help and advice. I went home last night and did one of the hardest things I have had to do. I put Midas in the freezer around 8 PM. He was worse than I had ever seen him, so through tears I managed to do that. I wonder if I will ever forgive myself. Anyway, thank you all so much!! I think I'll stick with the grumpy females like our lividum!!! At least ... I hope she is a female. I am thinking if I call her feminine words, then she will be one. haha! After the moult, we will know for sure.

I already miss Midas.

Tom and Christa

Mr.Extreme

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it dying or getting ready to molt?!?!?!?!

ok this is lita im not sure if she is dying i brought her to school for extra credit from my science teacher and before school started shes been in the corner like the pictures shows with her legs under her like that she looks darker but im not sure she barley moves shes not walking or nothing is she slowly dying or is she just getting ready to molt im not moving her from that medium size container i big holes in each corner just incase she is getting ready to molt plz some one comment back fast!! thank you

Mr.Extreme

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok she is still in the corner and i put wet papaer towels i sqeezed them good to so their nice and humid for the container shes in shes shooting alot of webs out is tht normal i worried