Sick T

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Hi Guys

I'm in need of some help. My one T (B. boehmei) is in bad shape. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that it was not really moving not eating so I decided to pop it in ICU. (I have roughly about 24 other T's). It has not eaten once and it cant move its back legs. It is only able to move its pedipalps and front tibia. It is not able to self right itself if I put it upside down in my palm.

I have been changing the toilet paper in the ICU regularly and adding pre-killed mealworms for food. About a week before this i found it walking around with its own leg in its jaws. We have been having some pretty sick heat lately but I try and keep enough water in the enclosures.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Do not put a desert species in a moist stuffy box(ICU) it will only do more damage.

Put it back in its enclosure and post pictures of the T and the enclosure.

Too much water may be an issue.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
An ICU is only good for dehydration. Nothing else. And even then, an arid species shouldn't be put into an ICU unless the dehydration is severe. Is the abdomen shriveled? Does it have any twitchy movements?

Try flipping it over and manually watering it. See if it drinks. But yes, pictures please. Especially of the pedipalps and abdomen.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay. please find bellow is the picture:

I put it back into the enclosure this morning, the substrate is fairly dry but I normally spray one side to be slightly more damn than the other. I also add water to the bowl regularly.

I have tried flipping it over and popping some water on its mouth part but it doesn't seem to be drinking.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Sadly its not even close to being mature, its still very small. its like between 2.5-3" (7-8cm). Thats what makes me concerned, it had no signs of being sick and like 2 days later it cant move around anymore

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It doesnt look dehysrated. The abdomen is plump.

Could possibly be an internal problem from a fall. It looks like there isnt enough sub in there. Maybe I am not seeing it right.

cold blood

Staff member
thats a terrible hide...may as well not even have it in there.

dead end hides provide no level of security and are a poor option.

it likely suffered damage from a fall...its pretty tall in there. self amputation like you saw is normal when a limb or limbs are damaged.

never mist this species....i reccomend never misting period, but with a t that likes dry, a water dish is the only moisture you need.

good luck.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Enclosure looks good, possible to add another 1" or so of substrate, if it was mine.
Palps aren't engorged, dismissing a MM.
Opisthosoma is good sized, in comparison to carapace, dismissing dehydration.
While it was on its back did you notice anything foreign on/near the mouth area? Both fangs intact, black and normal looking?

Possibly injured from an unseen fall, doubtful from enclosure photo.
Or injested a parasite/pesticide from contaminated prey. Difficult to diagnose an exact cause.

As a precautionary measure, I'd isolate it from others, a warm and darkened space. Keep a water bowl as close as possible and a pre killed prey nearby. Leave it alone and just view it occassionly, hopefully it will recover on its own.
A beautiful species for sure, shame yours is in a bad way. I wish it a speedy recovery.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Ill upload a photo from the side so you guys can see, I don't think it could be due to a fall but anything is possible... it does move itself around (by dragging itself with its pedipalps) but i still cant get it to eat

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Yesterday I had a look at it again (been keeping an eye on it daily). The abdomen on the T started to fall in, 3 of its legs had started to decay so I euthanized it. I did not want to let it suffer/risk infecting the rest of my collection...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Probably damage from a fall. It looks like there is a lot of distance from the substrate to the lid.

The water dish could have been a little bigger, they like to stick their face right in.

I agree with @cold blood. The hide is not adequate. It should be buried at an angle but open on both sides so they can burrow into it and keep going.

If your other enclosures are set up similarly you should make these corrections to avoid the same thing happening again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's really unfortunate. Check your other enclosures to make necessary alterations.
Sorry for your loss :(