sick T, need advice

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
Ok, so the last time I went out of town I found this little "mom and pop" pet store. The guy there had a tarantula labeled "birdeater" for $90. This poor spider was about 3.5 to 4 inches and being keep in a 12 oz deli container. It's legs were all curled under and it's abdomen looked swollen and infected. I lectured him about the condition of the spider. He said the someone gave it to him like that because they couldn't keep him. So, either I made the guy feel guilty or he wanted to look good in front of the other costumers, he asked me how much I'd pay for a sick spider. I said $10 because it will probably die. Now I have a sick T and I need advice from you experts. Should I use eco earth coconut fiber, something else, or no substrate at all? He likes to sit in his water dish like he's soaking his abdomen. So far he hasn't eaten. I've tried live crickets and I leave a headless cricket every night. I'm afraid to leave a live cricket alone with him because he moves very slowly. His back left leg is completely bent and he drags his abdomen when he walks. Also, if anyone can ID him that would be great! I'm pretty sure it's a Theraphosa stirmi or blondi.

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Looks like a T. stirmi to me, but I'll leave the ID to people with more experience with them.

Does it have tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps? Trying to ascertain if it might be a mature male on his way out. If so, there's nothing you can do.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Should I use eco earth coconut fiber, something else, or no substrate at all? He likes to sit in his water dish like he's soaking his abdomen.

Also, if anyone can ID him that would be great!
Definitely Theraposa, probably T. stirmi.

It's sitting in the water dish because it needs the humidity.

Get it in an appropriately sized enclosure with plenty of moist substrate (I use a mix of eco earth/sedge peat/vermiculite), a hide, a large water dish and dot about some clumps of sphagnum moss (keep these moist) and see how it does.

I don't own this species so someone with more experience will probably chime in with how best to care for it but that's the best I can think of off the top of my head.

boina

Lady of the mites
At 3 to 4 inches I wouldn't expect bulbs on a stirmi yet.

As @The Grym Reaper already said: Put it in a moist enclosure and soon, moist in this case meaning really moist and not just slightly damp. The way it clings to that water dish does not look good. If it is really dehydrated, and although the abdomen is not shriveled it does look like it, it cannot / wont eat anyway, so I wouldn't bother feeding until it uncurles it's legs.
I kind of think that it may have been injured in a fall (twisted leg, weird looking abdomen).

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Absolutely about the 3-4 inches. No way it will have emboli. I musta missed that bit :dead:.

They should arrive around 8-11 inches :rofl:

Leila

Arachnobaron
Sending good vibes your way in hopes that your sick T pulls through. :embarrassed:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
let him settle in at least a few days before offering food. he doesnt even really need it, hes quite fat. just get him into a high humidity enclosure asap.

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
Definitely Theraposa, probably T. stirmi.

It's sitting in the water dish because it needs the humidity.

Get it in an appropriately sized enclosure with plenty of moist substrate (I use a mix of eco earth/sedge peat/vermiculite), a hide, a large water dish and dot about some clumps of sphagnum moss (keep these moist) and see how it does.

I don't own this species so someone with more experience will probably chime in with how best to care for it but that's the best I can think of off the top of my head.
Do you make your substrate all equal parts (thirds)? I went out today and bought vermiculite and some plain potting soil (no pesticides, no fertilizer) and I already have eco earth. This is the first T I've had that needs so much moisture. I have 9 others and none of them seem to have moisture problems.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Good job on that "hostage rescue".
I hope your help did not come too late.
Keep us up to date please, would like to know if that poor thing actually pulls through!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Do you make your substrate all equal parts (thirds)? I went out today and bought vermiculite and some plain potting soil (no pesticides, no fertilizer) and I already have eco earth. This is the first T I've had that needs so much moisture. I have 9 others and none of them seem to have moisture problems.
No, I put roughly 60/40 peat/eco earth mix into a bin, add a scoop or two of fine vermiculite, put the lid on the bin and shake it up until it's mixed evenly.

There's no perfect mixture, just experiment with the mix until you're happy with it.

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
Do you use this mix for all you T's or just the ones needing high humidity levels?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I use dry eco earth by itself for arid species.

Also like others have said, needs more humidity. I hope it pulls through for you.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Ok, so the last time I went out of town I found this little "mom and pop" pet store. The guy there had a tarantula labeled "birdeater" for $90. This poor spider was about 3.5 to 4 inches and being keep in a 12 oz deli container. It's legs were all curled under and it's abdomen looked swollen and infected. I lectured him about the condition of the spider. He said the someone gave it to him like that because they couldn't keep him. So, either I made the guy feel guilty or he wanted to look good in front of the other costumers, he asked me how much I'd pay for a sick spider. I said $10 because it will probably die. Now I have a sick T and I need advice from you experts. Should I use eco earth coconut fiber, something else, or no substrate at all? He likes to sit in his water dish like he's soaking his abdomen. So far he hasn't eaten. I've tried live crickets and I leave a headless cricket every night. I'm afraid to leave a live cricket alone with him because he moves very slowly. His back left leg is completely bent and he drags his abdomen when he walks. Also, if anyone can ID him that would be great! I'm pretty sure it's a Theraphosa stirmi or blondi.
How is your T doing? Better, I hope...

frodogecko

Arachnopeon
How is your T doing? Better, I hope...
He seems to be doing much better. He's eating live crickets and he's not sitting in his water dish anymore. His abdomen still looks the same and his back leg still looks broken, but I'm hoping these problems improve when he molts. Thanks for asking!