Sick T: Don't know what's wrong

casesensative

Arachnopeon
I have a G. Pulchra thats about an inch in size. Usually he's one to just hide away, but lately he's been wandering around a lot and climbing the sides of his cage. Well yesterday I found him with his legs curled and thought he was dead for sure, but when I fiddled with his cage he started moving around albeit VERY slowly, and his walk is very timid and almost like hes a little drunk as he can lose his balance a bit. He ate just a week and 2 days ago, and I misted his cage quite a bit to make sure he isn't getting dehydrated. He still seems very sick and like he's on the brink of death. Any ideas as to what could be wrong or what might help?

casesensative

Arachnopeon
Enclosure: I moved his little log as he used to hide under it, but a couple of times it looked like he wanted to get under it and was too weak to do so, so I just re-situated it. I also refilled his water cap, as it was empty and put it up next to him just so he could get to it.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
This is an example of why many of us dissuade people from misting. People over do it, op, you WAY over did it, a pulchra should NEVER be this wet, probably a large part of the issue...just keep a water dish (like you are) and keep a small area damp by sprinkling a little water onto the substrate....the rest of the sub can be predominantly dry.

Also kks provide too much ventilation for small slings, which can cause things to dry out unnaturally fast, I would cover most of the top with saran wrap or something (depending on what it looked like before your monsoon mister hit, this could also be the problem)...actually I'd put the sling into a 16oz deli cup where its better off.....KK's can be escaped from by ts under 1.75-2", and this should be the size where you start to move a sling into a kk.

In the future, there's little need to mist, but if you do, its a small half spritz, that's it, minimal.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This. ^^^

Anyway IMO doesn't look like a next to die spider. Seems more a pissed off by that wet.

casesensative

Arachnopeon
I literally just misted that much like 20 minutes ago, so it had nothing to do with it, before that it was bone dry as I usually keep it. I will keep that in mind for the future though. I have since put him in an ICU setup in a cup, and when i return him to his regular cage I will cover up some of the airflow as you suggested.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok thanks for posting photos.
First off it may have fallen and done some sort of damage internally. The enclosure is rather large for it but that shouldnt be a problem. It needs a good bit of substrate. Id say 2/3 of the enclosure. I would also swap the bottle cap for a plastic lid as the metal ones can cause some injuries as they are sharp.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
KK's can be escaped from by ts under 1.75-2", and this should be the size where you start to move a sling into a kk.
have you ever actually had that happen? ive raised slings from 1" in small KKs with no issues. mainly dry species cause of the vent.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not trying to be demeaning, but you have obviously not done any research on the care of g. Pulchra. They are a grassland species, not rain forest. I've attached an informative article for you to read that includes pictures of their typical natural environment.

http://gpulchra.blogspot.com/p/biology-and-ecology.html

The enclosure should be bone dry except for where you overfill the water bowl once or twice a week. I have never covered the top of the cage and airflow has not been an issue.

I have been keeping them for many years, ping me if you have more specific questions. Hope this helps, and that your T pulls through.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
have you ever actually had that happen? ive raised slings from 1" in small KKs with no issues. mainly dry species cause of the vent.
Me, no, I don't put slings in KKs...but yes, we've seen escapes posted in the past.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You think there's too much floor space, if so why?
Well I don't think its much of an issue. The only problem is the T not being able to find some types of feeders. I have noticed when I have placed a T into an enclosure that is more on the large side I have had to go digging for uneaten prey more often. Which had become less of a hassle when placed in a smaller environment as most of the time it will be eaten.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I don't think its much of an issue. The only problem is the T not being able to find some types of feeders. I have noticed when I have placed a T into an enclosure that is more on the large side I have had to go digging for uneaten prey more often. Which had become less of a hassle when placed in a smaller environment as most of the time it will be eaten.
For sure, I do that as well. I think it depends on the locality too. For example, my AF H. sp. Columbia Large was in that size KK and she had zero issue w/finding food :D I think Ts that size should be in something with that amt of floor space, all things being equal.

cold blood

Staff member
Also kks provide too much ventilation for small slings, which can cause things to dry out unnaturally fast, I would cover most of the top with saran wrap or something (depending on what it looked like before your monsoon mister hit, this could also be the problem).

In the future, there's little need to mist, but if you do, its a small half spritz, that's it, minimal.
I literally just misted that much like 20 minutes ago, so it had nothing to do with it, before that it was bone dry as I usually keep it. I will keep that in mind for the future though. I have since put him in an ICU setup in a cup, and when i return him to his regular cage I will cover up some of the airflow as you suggested.
There was also a second part I added specifically because I suspected the monsoon had been a result of an over-compensation.

I always find it funny how many people soak enclosures prior to taking pictures for us.:banghead:

Until its adult colors come through, its too small to be kept totally dry....slings require damp, or at least partially damp substrate.