Sick T. Blondi please help!

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg image.png image.png I brought her home on Sunday and set up her new tank. Tuesday I placed the container she was in, in the tank and allowed her to transition on her own. i noticed she wouldn't put one of her legs down and figured I would keep an eye on it. The next day when I got home her leg had fallen off. As you know I can't handle her so I haven't had a chance to get a good look at her; untill last night. Her abdomen seems 'shriveled' which is probably from poor nutrition/dehydration. However my main concern is what I believe is her lungs. One side appears normal but the other side is obviously not ok. I have never had this happen with any of my T's before. If anyone has any info or advice I would really appreciate it. Humidity is at 80% and temp is just under 80.

cold blood

Staff member
That t looks rough.

A t will remove a leg that isn't functional or is damaged, it almost certainly didn't just fall off.

T. strimi though, just so you are aware...hope you didn't pay true blondi prices, especially for a specimen in this kind of shape.

@Poec54 may be of assistance, he's raised a lot of them and often chooses the ones in the roughest shape, he's typically had little issue getting them back to full health.

Last edited:

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Has she molted recently? Alot of whats going on seems like she had a bad molt, also where in hek did you buy this T...

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
That t looks rough.

A t will remove a leg that isn't functional or is damaged, it almost certainly didn't just fall off.

T. strimi though, just so you are aware...hope you didn't pay true blondi prices, especially for a specimen in this kind of shape.

@Poec54 may be of assistance, he's raised a lot of them and often chooses the ones in the roughest shape, he's typically had little issue getting them back to full health.
Okay thanks. But I did pay $100 for her. All I know is she is 4-5 years old. Sex unknown.

cold blood

Staff member
Okay thanks. But I did pay $100 for her. All I know is she is 4-5 years old. Sex unknown.
Ok, good, that's a stirmi price.

Age is just a guess, and generally a useless number when dealing with ts, size, or DLS (Diagonal Leg Span) is more important.

Poec should be able to sex it from the pics, I don't recall off the top of my head whether that arrow is indicative of male or female...if its a male, you may just have a short time with it.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Looks to be a mature male at the end of his life span....sorry....

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
I agree you may have just payed 100 dollars for a half dead animal, sorry to be blunt but just pointing out what I see. Sorry

All I can really say is make sure hes in the right conditions and he can live out his last days joyfully

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That is one very rough looking T.

I would agree that it looks like a MM near the end of its time.

It looks like abdomen is very small and bald and the specimen is quite leggy. Usually females of this species are built like tanks. I am not 100% from these photos though. Can you possible post a photo of the front of the T to show pedipalps?

Its a shame if whoever sold you it did so knowing that it is dying or suffered from seiously bad molt.

I hope it pulls through but if male I believe even if it pushed a molt, it will probably be its last :(

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I don't recall off the top of my head whether that arrow is indicative of male or female...if its a male, you may just have a short time with it.
Theraphosa's are pretty easy to ventral sexe once they get large as the males have a dark triangular epiandrous fusillae right above the vent,The vents in females are uniform in color displaying a wide and raised epigastric furrow. The specimen in question is indeed male.

Last edited:

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I would agree that this is a mature male T stirmi. Do you remember the retailer who sold you this spider? Just curious how anyone would do that and also try and pass it off as a blondi ..

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg
I would agree that this is a mature male T stirmi. Do you remember the retailer who sold you this spider? Just curious how anyone would do that and also try and pass it off as a blondi ..
Yes I have bought some spider-lings from him in the past and those two are doing great. I did talk to him when the leg came off and was told it wasn't a big deal.. But last night is when I was able to get a better look and see everything else

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
View attachment 218443
Yes I have bought some spider-lings from him in the past and those two are doing great. I did talk to him when the leg came off and was told it wasn't a big deal.. But last night is when I was able to get a better look and see everything else
I just trusted the T. Was healthy so I honestly only glanced at her at the show before the purchase

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
Theraphosa's are pretty easy to ventral sexe once they get large as the males have a dark triangular epiandrous fusillae right above the vent,The vents in females are uniform in color displaying a wide and raised epigastric furrow. The specimen in question is indeed male.
Funny because I was told the sex was unknown

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Easier for them to say sex was unknown and sell it as that even if they know it's mature male cause then you can't go back and say 'hey you said it was female and sold me a male'. You can't go back at all even if you went back and said 'you sold me a mature male' they can simply say "I sold it as unknown, so it had a chance at being either, I didn't know which it was" and be in the 'clear'.

These stories right here is why I prefer to get spiderlings for all my T's. At least then if it turns out to be male I have much longer with it.

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
image.png image.jpeg

It looks like abdomen is very small and bald and the specimen is quite leggy. Usually females of this species are built like tanks. I am not 100% from these photos though. Can you possible post a photo of the front of the T to show pedipalps?

Its a shame if whoever sold you it did so knowing that it is dying or suffered from seiously bad molt.

I hope it pulls through but if male I believe even if it pushed a molt, it will probably be its last :(
Very disappointing:(

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
Ok, good, that's a stirmi price.

Age is just a guess, and generally a useless number when dealing with ts, size, or DLS (Diagonal Leg Span) is more important.

Poec should be able to sex it from the pics, I don't recall off the top of my head whether that arrow is indicative of male or female...if its a male, you may just have a short time with it.
Disappointing but Thanks for the advice

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
I agree you may have just payed 100 dollars for a half dead animal, sorry to be blunt but just pointing out what I see. Sorry

All I can really say is make sure hes in the right conditions and he can live out his last days joyfully
Thanks okay. Thank you for being honest.. I have the guys number think I'm going to give him a call and see if he will take the T. back. At this point I think a person who knows nothing about T's could clearly see that this one is not healthy.