Sick T. Blondi please help!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I wish you luck, But I have a feeling they were trying to get it out the door, saying it was a T. blondi and unknown sex when it's obvious like it is, and the condition it was in....All seems very underhanded and clearly someone not with very much integrity.

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
Easier for them to say sex was unknown and sell it as that even if they know it's mature male cause then you can't go back and say 'hey you said it was female and sold me a male'. You can't go back at all even if you went back and said 'you sold me a mature male' they can simply say "I sold it as unknown, so it had a chance at being either, I didn't know which it was" and be in the 'clear'.

These stories right here is why I prefer to get spiderlings for all my T's. At least then if it turns out to be male I have much longer with it.
Exactly. That is why I always get spiderlings. However, we have been waiting to come across one this size so we didn't hesitate when we saw him

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Yeah I got an LP as a spiderling and it's killing me waiting for it to grow. I mean I got it's 20 gallon tank planted and ready for it when it's bigger and it's like...1in right now XD

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
These stories right here is why I prefer to get spiderlings for all my T's. At least then if it turns out to be male I have much longer with it.
To be fair if you buy from reputable sellers you won't run into these issues.

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
Yeah I got an LP as a spiderling and it's killing me waiting for it to grow. I mean I got it's 20 gallon tank planted and ready for it when it's bigger and it's like...1in right now XD
I power fed my GBB and Cuban Purple birdeater they have actually gained pretty good size in 6 months

lunarae

Arachnobaron
To be fair if you buy from reputable sellers you won't run into these issues.
Well that's true. But I feel mistakes can be made even by reputable breeders. And though of course if it's a reputable breeder they will make it right, it's still dealing with that disappointment for me. And knowing that when you get them bigger regardless of male or female depending on the species the time you have with them is still a lot shorter then from when you get slings.

But when I've considered buying larger ones or adults its usually hearing things like this that happen with people that sway me to stick with slings, at least right now when I don't have the money to risk.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I power fed my GBB and Cuban Purple birdeater they have actually gained pretty good size in 6 months
I've tried 'power feeding' I'm lucky if mine will eat once a week, it's the most finiky thing ever. Our G. porteri eats better then our LP, and it seems to grow faster. It's like their memo's for who was supposed to be fast growing and voracious eaters got mixed up when they were shipped to me.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Easier for them to say sex was unknown and sell it as that even if they know it's mature male cause then you can't go back and say 'hey you said it was female and sold me a male'. You can't go back at all even if you went back and said 'you sold me a mature male' they can simply say "I sold it as unknown, so it had a chance at being either, I didn't know which it was" and be in the 'clear'.

My LPS is guilty of this practice.
They will mark females females but if they know it's a male they won't post it. They will sell it as unsexed.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Yep. It's sad that's the kind of world we live in.
I buy from them and they are pretty good I just picked up a sexed pair of GBB from the same LPS and I am very happy with them. although the male was marked this time :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member
Funny because I was told the sex was unknown
Red flag, this is an indicator of an unscrupulous seller, what he did was shady, if not just downright dirty. Find a new seller...and in the future, always be wary of an adult that's listed as "unsexed", also, now you know to look for mature male parts.

Cuban Purple birdeater
:banghead:

:rofl: though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The stirmi is an immature male. Feed it frequently, keep the substrate moist, but not soggy. Keep the water bowl full of clean water (you won't believe what Theraphosa do in their water bowls), and push it into a molt. That will revitalize it. You don't want it in the current condition any longer than necessary.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If the person who sold him to you was an experienced dealer... you were taken advantage of. I would expect this scenario from a beginner or novice keeper, but never someone who is in this hobby to the extent that they are selling spiderlings and having a table at an expo or show. This was no accident - you were lied to so they could move an animal that they wouldn't have been able to sell otherwise and that is dishonest and a black mark on legitimate dealers. Plus, he is not in good shape overall and looks neglected.
Hopefully you will have him for a little while still and you're able to get him back to a robust condition for the time he has left.
I would never give this person one cent of my money again... ever. Especially since there are so many good, honest, above board dealers out there for you to choose from.

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
What's a cuban purple birdeater?
Phormictopus SP
They get 7-8 inches. Very aggressive even at her size. I handle her when I clean her tank and she's bitten me a few times.. As spider-Lings they are teal and then turn black and then eventually the color will come in. Here is a picture of mine from this morning. image.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You are prohibited from posting photos that do not belong to you. Your post will be deleted unless you replace that first photo from the internet with a link to the photo instead.
I'm not exactly sure why you keep handling your tarantulas when they keep biting you? They obviously are not tolerant to interacting with you and most people would have given it up before being bitten 'a few times'.

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
You are prohibited from posting photos that do not belong to you. Your post will be deleted unless you replace that first photo from the internet with a link to the photo instead.
I'm not exactly sure why you keep handling your tarantulas when they keep biting you? They obviously are not tolerant to interacting with you and most people would have given it up before being bitten 'a few times'.
Well I would rather it bite me now than later. And if it get use to me while it's young it will be a little easier when it's older.

Proudbullymommy

Arachnopeon
Also it's not that they "keep biting me" a few times in 6 months isn't bad considering the species I have. I handle everyone daily and they are babies so its nothing more than a flea bite. The times that they do bite has only been because they got startled.