sick sling question

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i had recently ordered some slings, and they got held up cause bad weather, and they were all dead but 4, out of 13....anyways 2 of them are finally comin around and starting to eat ..P. ornatas....but the other two, P. pederseni, and P. striata, well the pederseni is just twitching, and 4 of its legs were stuck straight up in the air, but today i noticed they werent, the striata is in a hair better condition, it just sits there twitching, and if it tries to move it pretty much just moves a hair, twitching the whole time....ok now my question is should i take the 2 out back with a hammer and put them outta their misery? cause i think its pretty clear they wont make it....let me know what you think...thanks

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I say wait and hope for a miracle. And a hammer would not be a propper way to euthanize it, the freezer probably would.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I would just ICU them and see what happens. I've had T's that I swore on everything were gonna die, but pulled through after a few days in the ICU with hand waterings & roach paste feedings. I put an Avic just last week into ICU that was in a full death curl position with these weird slightly DKS twitches & now I've got her back in her enclosure and shes active and looking good as ever.
Even if its 99.9% likely that they are gonna die, they'll still have a .1% more change of pulling through than if you use the hammer on em.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I dunno - the hammer seems very quick and painless if you MUST euthanize them.

But I agree, ICU them and see what happens. Don't give up!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno - the hammer seems very quick and painless if you MUST euthanize them.

But I agree, ICU them and see what happens. Don't give up!
sure it's quick and painless, just doesn't really seem right, I know I couldn't do it.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
that's a lot of money's worth of T's! Did you contact the dealer and see if they can work with you to get some replacement slings?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have had them in ICU...two are now eating and acting pretty much normal, and the other two are twitching and barely moving...basically i just have them in vials, with paper towel bedding, and keep them above a gap between 2 gecko tanks, and the temp im guessing is about 90...and i have gave them half a small cricket, but i dont think the two twitchers can eat, but i can try again...and i mist it down every couple days...it usually has condensation on the vial, and i also get a fw drops to go directly infront of their palps and mouth...that soak into the towel...

I would just ICU them and see what happens. I've had T's that I swore on everything were gonna die, but pulled through after a few days in the ICU with hand waterings & roach paste feedings. I put an Avic just last week into ICU that was in a full death curl position with these weird slightly DKS twitches & now I've got her back in her enclosure and shes active and looking good as ever.
Even if its 99.9% likely that they are gonna die, they'll still have a .1% more change of pulling through than if you use the hammer on em.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

yeah but wouldnt instant death with no pain be better than slowly freezing to death?

I say wait and hope for a miracle. And a hammer would not be a propper way to euthanize it, the freezer probably would.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

yeah they replaced all of them and gave me 4 freebies instead of 2 on the first one...but 2 of the freebies didnt make it...

that's a lot of money's worth of T's! Did you contact the dealer and see if they can work with you to get some replacement slings?

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why do you say that? A freezer would certainly take longer. I've put T's/Fish/Snails down by using a brick. A split second and they're gone.

Well that's sad but I'm glad they replaced them.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep ive used hammers on a few critters, that or my guns....had to shoot one of my moms cats after the alternator belt ground her up...it was sad....yeah they were very good to deal with....i would expect anyone to replace them if something like that happened...including myself

Why do you say that? A freezer would certainly take longer. I've put T's/Fish/Snails down by using a brick. A split second and they're gone.

Well that's sad but I'm glad they replaced them.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well the little slings are in T heaven...not too long after starting this thread, i checked on my critters and they were dead....sad, but atleast i have more of the species....