Sick? Hurt? Help....

Tom2634

Arachnopeon
So I just opened up my emp's enclosure to attempt to get her out so I can remove her babies, since it's been a month and haven't gotten a chance. To my surprise she didn't scurry into her man-made burrow as usual, but ran across the enclosure to a log hide, but she was kind of favoring her right claw and moving oddly. Her tail was up but she was bringing her right claw back pretty far back towards her legs. She seemed pretty defensive as well.

I set my critter keeper in the tank tipped over and waited for her to climb in, when she did I tipped it over and trapped her. There are some moist paper towels in there and I have it covered with some heat getting to it, so she should be fine in there. What is going on? I've given her 2 mealworms in the last week, one of which she fed to the babies, the other I don't know what she did, but I'm positive she had it in her grasp. Could one have bitten her? I can't see any mold in the tank but could this be an issue?

I appreciate any help.

Update: She calmed down in the critter keeper and is now "sucking" on the paper towel for water, which i'm not too worried about as she doesn't appear to be tearing or ingesting any of it, but when she was climbing around it's like she couldn't lift the claw. When she was walking around it kind of looked like she was irritated by it and was trying to rub something off of her leg, but if that was the case I think she would just clean it off normally. Don't know how else to describe it.

Last edited:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would give her a small water dish and check her real good for mites. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else knows more.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check the membranes on that chela as well - look for swelling or discoloration or any sign of mechanical damage anywhere on the chela.

Tom2634

Arachnopeon
Yeah, thats what it looks like, mechanical damage, hard to tell because of the position but no sign of mites. Could possibly have been when she hit the tweezers hard last feeding, but it seems like she was healthy after that. Whats the verdict? Gimpy scorpion? Probably won't make it? Is it possible the babies had something to do with this damage?

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fwiw, I've kept my young ones with their mom for over a year (she passed away about a year after giving birth). And nearly two years after she gave birth I counted 19 (!) young ones. So I don't think it's a problem if you keep mom and the kids together longer.

I lost 5 (for sure, maybe more) over the past 2.5 years, mostly during cold weather spells (this year I make sure I have something better to heat the room, also this room gets less cold to begin with).

edit: picture (I didn't see any for some time after a move, and decided to check the substrate, and found 19 young ones. One died later, probably accidentally got hurt during the digging up).

Tom2634

Arachnopeon
Ah alright thanks, but they're already out, they had a hell of a burrow goin. Mom is back in the normal enclosure, acting pretty normal other than the odd "limp", she was sitting in the burrow claws hanging out and now she's basking near the heat pad like usual.

Quick Question: Should I feed her? If I do it'll be a headcrushed cricket, easy meal.