Sick Female Jumping Spider

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
I need help quick guys, my female P. regius has been sick for about two days now. She has been on guard duty with her egg sac for over a month now but has refused to take any food I'd give her or drink any water. Spiderlings are coming out of the egg already, but she looks like she's in critical condition due to lack of nutrition. Does anybody know what I can do to save her? ):

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It might just be the end of her lifespan now that the sac has hatched. Did you catch/buy her as an adult? I would try continuing to feed and water every day or so until she takes something. Worst comes to worst you can try to gently tweezer feed her, or damage a feeder enough that hemolymph comes out and press that up near her fangs and she what she does. I've had stubborn spiders and scorpions take damaged feeders that way before when they've been stubborn.

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
It might just be the end of her lifespan now that the sac has hatched. Did you catch/buy her as an adult? I would try continuing to feed and water every day or so until she takes something. Worst comes to worst you can try to gently tweezer feed her, or damage a feeder enough that hemolymph comes out and press that up near her fangs and she what she does. I've had stubborn spiders and scorpions take damaged feeders that way before when they've been stubborn.
I bought her, and it seems like she's an adult, she was quite large when I first got her. Her abdomen looks skinny now (probably the eggs inside her that made her look large when I first bought her) and she's starting to curl. Will the slings be okay without her?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Probably coming up to the end then. Slings will be fine without her. You'll want to separate them out at some point because they're very cannibalistic. Doesn't hurt to let them eat the weaker individuals first though. Guarantees stronger slings and it's fewer mouths for you to feed.

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
Probably coming up to the end then. Slings will be fine without her. You'll want to separate them out at some point because they're very cannibalistic. Doesn't hurt to let them eat the weaker individuals first though. Guarantees stronger slings and it's fewer mouths for you to feed.
Just saw her passed away on the floor ): Right when I was about to give her water... As for the slings, how long do I wait until I start separating them?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you want to wait a week or so the numbers should be a bit easier to manage. It really comes down to how many you are comfortable caring for. If you think you can house and care for them all you can start separating them right away or you can wait a bit and have fewer (though healthier) individuals to work with.

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
I have a clutch of slings not yet out of the nest. The advice I received from an experienced breeder was around 2 months to separate, so long as you provide lots of food for the communal set up in the meantime. Haven't done it myself, but it's what I'm intending to try! This was for P. Regius.

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
If you want to wait a week or so the numbers should be a bit easier to manage. It really comes down to how many you are comfortable caring for. If you think you can house and care for them all you can start separating them right away or you can wait a bit and have fewer (though healthier) individuals to work with.
Thank you so much for the advice u a real one

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
I have a clutch of slings not yet out of the nest. The advice I received from an experienced breeder was around 2 months to separate, so long as you provide lots of food for the communal set up in the meantime. Haven't done it myself, but it's what I'm intending to try! This was for P. Regius.
Same, I see a few slings hanging around the nest and I know there should be more coming. How exactly would I feed them though? Just dump a few flightless fruit flies on the nest ? Or is that too dangerous?

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
Wait until they're out to start feeding them, I don't think they cannibalise each other until they are a little older -- again that's advice I've received not first-hand experience. There's a Facebook group with lots of experienced keepers -- it's here if you'd like to join!

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
Wait until they're out to start feeding them, I don't think they cannibalise each other until they are a little older -- again that's advice I've received not first-hand experience. There's a Facebook group with lots of experienced keepers -- it's here if you'd like to join!
Alrighty, thank you for the info!