Sick Chicken frog

Acal57

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well not so much sick as much malnourished. He looks under weight and has sores on his front feet and over the hip bones. How should I nurse the little fella back to health....I have him in a large tank with a swimming bowl and a soaked moss/coco mix. Any suggestions?

Acal57

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So nobody has ever had a sick frog on here? I find that hard to believe.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it's proberly a " mountain chicken" south american bullfrog, if it has sores on it's body you may want to soak him in very shallow water with alittle tetra cycline (spelling) (fish med.for fungus,sores etc) soak him for about 20min for five days, i had a redeye tree frog that had sores under it's belly i tried this method and it worked, good luck.not saying it will definitly work but it's worth a try.

Acal57

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yah its a Mountain Chicken, or better yet a Leptodactylus fallax. Thanks for the tip, Ill try it out beetleman. Cheers.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As for improving his weight and condition, waxworms are excellent for improving body condition score as they are full of fat and protein, and silkworms (if you can get them) are also good as they are also soft bodied and highly nutritious.

Has the frog been treated for internal parasites? If not, I'd recommend popping him along to your nearest exotics vet for a fecal smear test - your vet can then decide if froggie needs treating and which method is most appropriate.

In the meantime, try to keep the frog in as clean as environment as possible (so no woodchips, moss etc) as this will help to minimise the spread of any infections. Can we please have a pic of the sores you mentioned? On first thoughts it sounds like a condition commonly called 'Redleg', but you really ought to get him seen by a vet in order to perfom bacterial swabs to confirm this and perscribe an appropriate topical antibiotic.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I heard sometimes it's hard to get bullfrogs to eat in captivity, but you can try slow moving food for now. (waxworms,silkworms, earthworms)

Sounds like he's a really unhappy frog with all the sores, hope he gets better.

They need a really large tank, because they hop so much their lible to hit the glass and hurt themselves if not enough room is provided.

How big is the swimming bowl, bullfrogs love the water and spend most of their time in it and they are powerful swimmers.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd agree, get a fecal done.

To the best of my knowledge these frogs are not aquatic like the bullfrogs here.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
true, they live in very moist places,even caves where they will feed on bats that fall to the ground. the males have huge pumped up arms,they have pectoral muscles,and they make this really winey call.they are very interesting frogs.:clap:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sores are indicative of high levels of bacteria in the cage. Make sure you keep it's home clean, unbelievably clean. Small cages go septic quickly and nothing is certain to kill a frog faster than "toxing out" from high levels of pathogens.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Need I remind you that pics are excedingly helpful...

Acal57

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Believe me I know, Wish that I could, but cameras cost dollars and I don't have too many of those...