Sick and injured Hyla versicolor... HELP... Need frog experience here...

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Limited experience caring for frogs, but have had many instances where I have tried to rehab the local populations of H. versicolor.

This newest case involves a small male I had found near the laundry room. He was wrapped in dryer lint, very severely dehydrated to skin and bones. I thought he was dead, I nudged him, and he moved a tiny bit.

So I brought him upstairs and carefully detangled him with qtips and fresh chlorine free water. After detangling I rinsed him several times in the clean water until the water was clear and he was totally clean.

he has some broken toes, abrasions throughout his legs which may or may not be red leg disease setting in from his circumstances, or just abrasions, don't know yet...

Since bringing him up he has moved his head up slightly and started some very minor movement which leads me to believe he is recovering a little bit. He is currently sitting in a bowl of very clean water in a quiet humid place.

My game plan is to try and keep his living area sterile and give him plenty of clean fluid to rehydrate in, and when he is able, I want to try and offer him an easy to eat food such as compost worms.

Any help, insight, or knowledge on this area would be much appreciated!

Cheers :)

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good news for a change, this little guy is doing a complete 180. He is already hydrating and looking good after only a few hours in some fresh water!

Going to see how things go, doing constant water changes, and when he is standing up I will try and give him a worm.

I should have taken before and after shots. He literally looked like a dried out frog when I found him, and now he is looking more like they are supposed to look.

He still has some injuries that I need to monitor, but if he continues at this pace, I predict a speedy recover :)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
For next time, look up/ask about pedialyte baths on a frog forum or something else reliable.
It involves diluting some unflavored pedialyte and soaking the frog in it for a while.