Sicarius terrosus

Gordon

Arachnopeon
Here's a small update. Remember this picture of the slings when they have freshly left the egg sac and looked a little bit like Loxosceles:

Now, 10 days later, they are dusty and grey as the adults are and look how a Sicarius has o look. :)

Purple Recluse

Arachnopeon
Well, based on it's relatives Loxosceles laeta being potentially deadly, and Sicarius hahnii having a bite about as bad as a Puff Adder in terms of damage, (Only two bites on record, one resulted in death, the other losing an arm) it's definitely a "look, don't touch" species. Which is how I treat most of the animals I keep anyway.
Copper:

From where did you get the info pertaining to the two Sicarius hahnii bites on record? I've searched fairly carefully for any mention of recorded six-eyed sand spider bites, and have failed to locate anything, so I'd be interested to know what resources I've missed.

Maybrick

Arachnopeon
@Steven
I have changed the substrate (a dustier one) now, so I have a silver-Sicarius too ;-). Look at my older pictures and you see, how the substrate change the look of the spider.

Attachments

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is fast!
What leg span is this female?
I can't get over that video!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think they are only available in europe seeing as everyone that has posted, who has one, is from europe.

I would love to have one, if anyone in America has some, let me know!

Maybrick

Arachnopeon
@DJ Almighty
I need to correct you in one thing ;-): Sicarius terrosus is NOT from Africa, they are located in South- and Middle America: mf terrosus (Nicolet, 1849) *....................Chile, Argentina, Peru. Your Sicarius should be from Chile.

DJ_AlMighty_247

Arachnopeon
I think they are only available in europe seeing as everyone that has posted, who has one, is from europe.

- http://www.vinmann.de/ (click "download" to get the full list).

@DJ Almighty
I need to correct you in one thing ;-): Sicarius terrosus is NOT from Africa, they are located in South- and Middle America: mf terrosus (Nicolet, 1849) *....................Chile, Argentina, Peru. Your Sicarius should be from Chile.

Ok. Is Sicarius hahnii from Africa? Confused by the species :D

Maybrick

Arachnopeon
Hi,
you can always use Platnick, its free ;-).
Listed in the moment are:
albospinosus Purcell, 1908....................South Africa
damarensis Lawrence, 1928....................Namibia
dolichocephalus Lawrence, 1928....................Namibia
hahni (Karsch, 1878)....................Namibia
spatulatus Pocock, 1900....................South Africa
testaceus Purcell, 1908....................South Africa