Sicarius terrosus

Gordon

Arachnopeon
Let’s start a new thread. One about a true spider genus that was not often shown in this forum: Sicarius.
Some months ago I got two Sicarius terrosus (ex Chile).
This is a special looking spider which spends the day buried in the sand where it is invisible for enemies and prey. They have a legspan of 7cm (3 inch).
I keep them warm and dry in tanks with a floor space of 30/20cm (12/8 inch) with fine sand and some stones and also a branch or something like this. They do not climb but need it to fix their eggsacks.

Here is one of the adult females:

With some luck, one of them was pregnant and built an eggsack at July 24.
This sack looks very special because the spider masks it with sand.

Now (more than two months later) the slings are here. There are not many but they are pretty large:

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
That is very interesting. Any idea what family they belong to? And they are from Chile? Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
Jon

Gordon

Arachnopeon
You are right, they belong to the family Sicariidae. And yes, they should be from Chile, that was the information we got from the german breeder where the spiders are from.

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi gordon, i´ve also bred those ;) atm I´m keeping all spiderlings together and have no problems while raising them. still waiting for dirk to get a new male for my female... I keep mine in 40*30*30 with yellow sand and as far as I could see the spiders use the dust of that sand to mask themselves with it. As I was able to see on your pics your female is grey? My female is yellow..so it really seems like they would use the fine substrate to adapt their coloration to the ground. maybe that´s what they need the setae on the carapace an dorsal abdomen for...

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are right, they belong to the family Sicariidae. And yes, they should be from Chile, that was the information we got from the german breeder where the spiders are from.
How come germans always seem to have to cool stuff!? ;)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thomas Vinmann has/had the African flavor of these available. I have been tempted ...they look cool and if I remember correctly, like many Sicariidaes they live a long time compared to most true spiders.
But they need to be treated with the respect...
Sicarius hahnii from the Northern Cape and Namibia is possibly the most lethal spider in the world. Fortunately, due to its habitat, it is rarely encountered and appears reluctant to bite. I have often scooped up a Sicarius by hand while looking for reptiles. This spider should not be handled, as there is no effective treatment.
Sicarius hahnii
Definately would be a great addition to the hobby on this side of the pond.

Edit: I was wrong... Vinmann has Sicarius terrosus on his list. (Chile, Argentina, Peru)

RodG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wonderful Spider!!!

Yes, I agree that our fellow hobbyists in Europe really do seem to have all the fun when it comes to what they can add to their collections. Great pictures Gordon of another fantastic spider!!!:drool:

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What a coincidence, I was just looking up the family Sicariidae, specifically Sicarius hahnii, I would love to get my hands on any Sicarius genus spider, they can reportedly live as long as 15 years. For those who don't know, genus Loxosceles is also in Sicariidae, and Sicarius genus also have the necrotoxic venom found in Loxosceles. The juveniles of the species posted even look a lot like Loxosceles juveniles. I guess I'll have to get in contact with Thomas Vinmann, unless you plan on selling any of your hatchlings, Gordon.

Gordon

Arachnopeon
@ Improver
That's intersting, when i am watching older pictures of my Sicarius (from the time when i got them) they where brown. So they really seems to adapt their coloration to the surroundings. I would like to see a picture of your yellow ones. :)

@ buthus / CopperInMyVeins
Of course they have to be treated with caution, because I think no one can tell me how potent the venom of S.terrosus is. And i don't want to find it out.
Sorry, but most of the slings will go to a friend. So i am not able to sell some of them to others.
Ask Thomas Vinmann or Dirk Reimann.
http://www.vinmann.de/
http://www.beepworld.de/members99/dirk_reimann/

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I also got me some from Improver (thanx ;) )
and my little ones are also yellow :)

could be interesting to raise seperated slings on different colors of sand.
and see what they look like when adult.
mmmm,... maybe i'll give that a try :D

allthough i really like the silver-look on Gordons :drool:

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cool spiders.Never heard of one that buries itself in sand before!

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
@ buthus / CopperInMyVeins
Of course they have to be treated with caution, because I think no one can tell me how potent the venom of S.terrosus is.
Well, based on it's relatives Loxosceles laeta being potentially deadly, and Sicarius hahnii having a bite about as bad as a Puff Adder in terms of damage, (Only two bites on record, one resulted in death, the other losing an arm) it's definitely a "look, don't touch" species. Which is how I treat most of the animals I keep anyway.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! Not what I expected to see when I logged on today! Very unusual and beautiful.

On the other hand, their venom is hideously toxic--definitely not something to get tagged by! :eek: Thanks for sharing, as I hardly ever see or hear anything about these!

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,
Here´s a pic of my Sicarius setup. It´s 40*30*25cm and filled up to 10cm high with substrate (yellow sand) and some rocks:

and extra for Gordon ;) the female I keep in that tank:

On her back you can still see some of the yellow sand. She mostly uses the whole she dug under the middle rock and doesn´t burrow herself into the ground very often, but when she does it she´s yellow as the sand.

Maybrick

Arachnopeon
@Gordon
Nice thread. I have an actual shot for this thread, too...

@Improver
In my opinion, its also important if the sand is dusty or not. I saw Gordons substrate and its really dusty, so the spiders always look grey. My substrate is not dusty, so my Sicarius looks mostly like yours (but darker), even if they dig, they always look the same ;-)

So, here is my thread picture: Sicarius terrosus building an eggsac.

Attachments

Gordon

Arachnopeon
@CopperInMyVeins
I absolutly agree with your attitude.

@Improver
Thank you for the Pictures.

@Maybrick
Thanks for participate. That was the picture I speculated for in the PM. :)