Sicarius terrosus

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It doesn't look photoshopped at all, it looks like a damn good picture. Not a damn good idea, but a good picture nonetheless.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To each its own, but the more hospital visits for this sort of stupidity, the higer the chances for the gov to close down the whole party and the only spider youll see will be in the books.

So yes, go ahead and handle hots.
Exactly. In an ideal world, people would research the subject and try to understand it and the fact that there are responsible owners out there before writing to their senator. However, do I need to say we don't live in an ideal world?

A venomous snake owner dies from a bite and the media jumps on it. Tarantulas are banned already in some places and "food-chain mess up" doesn't make a lot of sense because of climate in certain places. I don't think a mortality from a Araneomorphae would convince USPS that spiders (tarantulas included) are OK to ship.

Well, here in Canada I can give you a list of cities in which tarantulas are banned:
Ottawa: (only 3 kinds of T's allowed)
"13 Arachnida and Chilopoda
(a) all venomous spiders including, but not limited to tarantula, black widow and solifugid, scorpion, save and except the exception of the following species of tarantula: Chilean Rose (Grammostola rosea), Mexican Red-Knee (Brachypelma smithi), Pink-Toed (Avicularia avicularia), and
(b) all venomous arthropods including, but not limited to centipede."

Cambridge, Ontario
London, Ontario
Bradford, Ontario
Barrie, Ontario and
Edmonton, Alberta

There are more, but I just thought I'd post a few examples.

Cassandra
Thread

Animal Control seized 11 tarantulas from a residence in Sioux City, Iowa as well. Florida and Hawaii do make sense to me because of the year-round warm climate but what tarantula species known survives in places with snowing winters? I know Araneomorphae exist in places of different seasons but what about tarantulas? It's a genuine question because I haven't found any yet. :8o:?

Debate aside, the pics ARE great. In some spots of the spider I had a hard time picking out what was sand and what was spider.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Florida and Hawaii do make sense to me because of the year-round warm climate but what tarantula species known survives in places with snowing winters? I know Araneomorphae exist in places of different seasons but what about tarantulas? It's a genuine question because I haven't found any yet. :8o:?
I see what you're getting at but tarantulas do exist in absolutely wintry places. Much of the high desert in the U.S. is snowbound or at least frost-ridden for part of the year...places where Aphonopelma thrive. Grammostola rosea comes from an area that has downright nasty extremes in temperature. Could any of the hardier tarantulas become established? Hard to say. I do have a rosea that was found in January in an abandoned S. Seattle a couple years back:?

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
This is driving me nuts.

It looks "brutally shopped" because of something photographers call Depth of Field. There is nothing in the last shot that looks edited at all. The camera is focusing on something small in the foreground, which forces a very short depth of field. If it was shopped, maybe he would have tried to get the skin of his arm and his face closer in color and tone?

In any event, the first photos are great shots of an amazing spider. They showed us the beauty of the animal just fine. Handling an animal like this is nothing more than a serious danger to our hobby. Glad you're in Poland.
You have it spot on.
He probably used a DSLR camera with a macro lens which gives a very thin DoF at that distance and wide aperture.

I'm not going to judge because there are plenty of people doing that already.
Amazing photo's.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see what you're getting at but tarantulas do exist in absolutely wintry places. Much of the high desert in the U.S. is snowbound or at least frost-ridden for part of the year...places where Aphonopelma thrive. Grammostola rosea comes from an area that has downright nasty extremes in temperature. Could any of the hardier tarantulas become established? Hard to say. I do have a rosea that was found in January in an abandoned S. Seattle a couple years back:?

Learn something new everyday. Can't see a lot of the more sought-after tarantulas thriving there, though.

elvasco

Arachnopeon
>Grammostola rosea comes from an area that has downright nasty extremes

>Grammostola rosea is from the aticama desert which is one of the mildest climates in the world. One city there, Arica, is called the city of eternal spring. The lowest recorded temperature there was i believe 39F. I don't know if I would call that downright nasty...

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
^^^

You are correct...for some reason I was lumping the two together and added Atacama to the equation, prob. thinking of another region altogether. Patagonia?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's a thought; Somebody collected that spider and probably a bunch more for just a few dollars. For every person posting pictures of their (WC) ultra-hots there is a string of people from collectors to importers to sales who have also interacted with this potentially deadly animal. I wonder how careful they are, especially those doing the collecting. Do they even know how dangerous this spider is? I wonder how many locals have been tagged collecting Sicarius, Phoenutria, Buthidae, etc? That's a statistic we'll never see.

Athelas

Arachnopeon
If not photoshopped then maybe a serious contender for the Darwin awards? :)

Amazing photos!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So is she just coated head-to-toe with dust or is some of that natural coloration/camouflage?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So is she just coated head-to-toe with dust or is some of that natural coloration/camouflage?
Yes.
http://legacy.lclark.edu/org/spidylab/objects/Duncan_etal_2007.pdf said:
The same may be true for Sicarius and Homalonychus, which both possess densely distributed setae (Chamberlin 1916; Roth 1984) with which
fine particles associate
(Levi & Levi 1969; Roth 1984; figure 1).
The sand remains attached for a long time and transforms their body colour to match the background substrate, resulting in remarkable concealment in their native habitats (figure 1a).
(Chars)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great spider and great pics! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera are you using?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Excellent shots! :clap:

but one ugly <edit> spider......

Last edited by a moderator:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Their setae are designed to catch and retain dust/ sand particles.
with this in mind, patiance, and timing, would it not be possible to use some of those florescent died sands, to create a rainbow specimen after a molt?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
with this in mind, patiance, and timing, would it not be possible to use some of those florescent died sands, to create a rainbow specimen after a molt?
LOL!!! I would LOVE to see that, oh my goodness. That would be the coolest thing ever--a customized killer spider!! :clap::clap:

I want a smiley-face on mine. ;P

You could put a pre-molt specimen in a sandless ICU, and then apply the died sands before re-introduction to the enclosure. Lol, or maybe dye the spider hot pink or blaze orange, for safety's sake so it stands out in the substrate!

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL!!! I would LOVE to see that, oh my goodness. That would be the coolest thing ever--a customized killer spider!! :clap::clap:

I want a smiley-face on mine. ;P

You could put a pre-molt specimen in a sandless ICU, and then apply the died sands before re-introduction to the enclosure. Lol, or maybe dye the spider hot pink or blaze orange, for safety's sake so it stands out in the substrate!
This whole post was just pure awesomeness. {D

I'd be dusting on a skull and cross bones on the abdomen. Hahaha!