Sicarius mating questions

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
My male sicarius sp. is definitely mature, he matured on the 19th of this month.
The female, I'm not too sure about but she is quite a bit bigger than the male.
Could he have made a sperm web by now? Would it be safe to attempt to pair them now?
Roughly how long after pairing should I try again? About how long until she starts forming the sac?
And any other mating info would be greatly appreciated!
I forgot to add that both of my sicarius sp. were sold to me as "Sicarius Hahni" however, I was informed that Hahni are not imported for trade, is this true? If so, then obviously, there's a chance both of my Sicarius are different species. Would it still be okay to pair them?

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I forgot to add that both of my sicarius sp. were sold to me as "Sicarius Hahni" however, I was informed that Hahni are not imported for trade, is this true? If so, then obviously, there's a chance both of my Sicarius are different species. Would it still be okay to pair them?
Well, for me no, that's not ok, unless you want to end with hybrids. Same genus, true, but if they are from a different species (for instance S.terrosus and S.hahni) the result of a 'positive' breeding will be hybrids. So I suggest to you to full I.D the spiders you have for avoid that :)

About importing S.hahni could be wrong but I doubt. Lately I've saw those little sand lovers almost everywhere (except for here in Italy where they are illegal to own, due to the powerful venom).

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Well, for me no, that's not ok, unless you want to end with hybrids. Same genus, true, but if they are from a different species (for instance S.terrosus and S.hahni) the result of a 'positive' breeding will be hybrids. So I suggest to you to full I.D the spiders you have for avoid that :)

About importing S.hahni could be wrong but I doubt. Lately I've saw those little sand lovers almost everywhere (except for here in Italy where they are illegal to own, due to the powerful venom).
Sorry if this seems like a silly question but exactly how could I full I.D the spiders? I mean, they look hahni judging by photos I've seen but they also look terrosus.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Sorry if this seems like a silly question but exactly how could I full I.D the spiders? I mean, they look hahni judging by photos I've seen but they also look terrosus.
I suggest you to post photos if you can, so people here will gladly help you :)

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
20161123_191105.jpg 20161120_102624.jpg Male is freshly molted and only has six legs.
These are the only photos I have at the moment but can always take better ones. Hopefully someone can come along and help out here!

Attachments

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but if the male is freshly molted then how can he only have six legs? I thought that when arachnids (and other arthropods, for that matter) molted, they regenerated lost limbs, or at least part of the length of a lost limb (if the whole limb can't fit inside the space).

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Sorry for what might be a dumb question, but if the male is freshly molted then how can he only have six legs? I thought that when arachnids (and other arthropods, for that matter) molted, they regenerated lost limbs, or at least part of the length of a lost limb (if the whole limb can't fit inside the space).
Most likely lost them during the molt.

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
I'm not exactly sure, I bought him with six legs, he molted that very night and nothing. I asked the shop when he lost them but they didn't even know they were missing! So, I assume he lost them a few days before I got him and didn't have time to regrow them.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
When I paired my Sicarius terosus pair nothing happened at first. I actually went down stairs to watch a movie. Shame on me I know. However during that movie I did research and discovered that male and female Sicarius terosus can co-exist amongst each other for long periods of time. As a result I threw in two crickets and they both ate one each. I kept this up for about a week and eventually took my male out. I walked in on some attempts by accident but never saw insertion. A few weeks later I got a sac that soon proved to be fertile. However the female never molted in my care so I don't know if she was gravid already. I hope this helps.