Shut-down state?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I was just watching my Avic m6 do nothing (as we do) and out of nowhere it slipped off the glass, caught itself slightly lower and sat there like nothing happened.

I know there has been plenty of discussions about whether or not tarantulas experience sleep-like states but it looked kind of like when you're nodding off and catch yourself before you fall over. 😂 I know that T's aren't built for sleep and don't require it but I have observed them to be in almost a shut-down state. Like, they won't react to stimuli at first and will suddenly be "surprised" and react. For ex, when rehousing OW specimens-- the spider won't react to the first few nudges or strokes with the pain brush and than THREAT POSE.

Kind of a rambling mess, but thoughts?

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I was just watching my Avic m6 do nothing (as we do) and out of nowhere it slipped off the glass, caught itself slightly lower and sat there like nothing happened.

I know there has been plenty of discussions about whether or not tarantulas experience sleep-like states but it looked kind of like when you're nodding off and catch yourself before you fall over. 😂 I know that T's aren't built for sleep and don't require it but I have observed them to be in almost a shut-down state. Like, they won't react to stimuli at first and will suddenly be "surprised" and react. For ex, when rehousing OW specimens-- the spider won't react to the first few nudges or strokes with the pain brush and than THREAT POSE.

Kind of a rambling mess, but thoughts?
T’s don’t have what we recognise as an advanced brain... It’s a more a collective nervous system simpler than ours but more advanced than other inverts, being that they can associate certain acts, noises etc. with certain events. Basically making them more intelligent (hehe, one up T’s)

So I’d say when they’re on ‘standby mode’ some of these nerves simply rest and cease to function but the T is still ‘awake’ and receptive. Like meditation or sunbathing(vaguely the same thing) no state of true unconsciousness is reached but (here’s the difference) no electrical signals are being transmitted between certain muscles unless triggered to do so.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
T’s don’t have what we recognise as an advanced brain... It’s a more a collective nervous system simpler than ours but more advanced than other inverts, being that they can associate certain acts, noises etc. with certain events. Basically making them more intelligent (hehe, one up T’s)

So I’d say when they’re on ‘standby mode’ some of these nerves simply rest and cease to function but the T is still ‘awake’ and receptive. Like meditation or sunbathing(vaguely the same thing) no state of true unconsciousness is reached but (here’s the difference) no electrical signals are being transmitted between certain muscles unless triggered to do so.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I know that they have a primitive brain and are unintelligent etc.