Shrunken abdomen after molt

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
So my T ( b albopilosum) molted earlier today. Usually she has a pretty plump abdomen but since the molt it seems to have shrunken in size. Could she be dehydrated? I always fill up her water bowl in case she needs a drink. Or maybe hungry? I don't really want to feed her until her fangs have hardened. Should I be worried?

Zyranne

Arachnopeon
So my T ( b albopilosum) molted earlier today. Usually she has a pretty plump abdomen but since the molt it seems to have shrunken in size. Could she be dehydrated? I always fill up her water bowl in case she needs a drink. Or maybe hungry? I don't really want to feed her until her fangs have hardened. Should I be worried?

Starantula

Arachnopeon
The abdomen always shrinks after molting, some more than others. Nothing to worry about and totally normal.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Post some pictures and remember they always look more slender after a molt.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Its normal for the abdomen to shrink after the molt, as the stored up exuvial fluid and mass gets lost when it sheds its old exoskeleton, having a water-dish filled so that they can replenish the lost fluids is a must.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
My p Cambridgei went from an abdomen double the size of her carapace to a tiny little raisin sized abdomen that was wayyy smaller than her carapace. I fed her a week later and she was fine. What I'd do in your place is add an extra water dish (depending on the size of the T and if there's space in the enclosure). When my 3" b albopilosum molted I added a second water dish closer to her just incase, but it's not necessary.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The spider increases in size after a molt - that mass has to come from somewhere. Conservation of mass. It's the law.

Note that if the abdomen is wrinkled, then that is a sign of severe dehydration. But a smaller abdomen is perfectly, completely normal.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My B. albopilosum also have noticeably shrunken abdomens after moulting because they tend to be a bit chubbier than some of the others pre-moult. It is normal for the abdomen to be smaller after moulting and can happen to varying degrees.
Like @Kymura mentioned above - nothing helps people help you more than a photo does. It will help to confirm if it is normal post-moult shrinking.
And yes, please hold off feeding them until their fangs harden up. Again, that will vary in time depending on their size/age.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Without a picture it does sound like the normal result of molting. Definitely wait until the fangs are ready before attempting to feed. If you are concerned and it would make you feel better, you can move the water dish closer to your spider or add an additional one to make it easier for lost fluids to be replaced. Otherwise, just let the thing rest from all of the energy it has just exerted from growing!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Having a smaller abdomen immediately post molt is nothing to worry about. After the exoskeleton hardens and she has a couple good feedings it should start to look plump again.