Showcase Arboreal?

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
I am looking for an arboreal to showcase in the living room, one that can be easily seen in it's display enclosure. So I'm not looking for a beautiful pet hole but an arboreal T that spends a lot of its time out in the open. Please let me know just why you might recommend a specific species.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I agree with what others have said. I'd also recommend A. metallica. They are so fuzzy and gorgeous, build awesome webs, and tend to be out and about regularly. I catch mine out just about every day. As an added bonus, they tend to be very calm and also have an awesome feeding response. And those fiberoptic setae... nuff said.
IMG_6626.JPG

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not sure what you are keeping now, or what you are comfortable with, but my P.cambridgei and Tapinauchenius violaceus are out most of the time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A. sp. amazonica I've owned both A met and these, and an Avic with a cherry red abdomen AND fiber optic setae with straw yellow leg banding beats out all, except ties versi.

No Avic, or tarantula, is a guarantee "showcase". Better off w/frogs or lizards.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've found that my P. regalis is always on the prowl for food to feed her never ending hunger. :vamp:

As far as appearance goes, very pretty silky looking (almost like fur) and great pattern/colors. They also get huge and bulky looking. :snaphappy:

I never see my avic though it is just a "plain" ole A. avic. ;)

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
A. sp. amazonica I've owned both A met and these, and an Avic with a cherry red abdomen AND fiber optic setae with straw yellow leg banding beats out all, except ties versi.

No Avic, or tarantula, is a guarantee "showcase". Better off w/frogs or lizards.
True, no guarantee, however my A. geniculata is pretty showy and is always out in the open. I'll stick with tarantulas and you can keep the frogs and lizards. I am thinking seriously about an A. versicolor.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Not all Pokies stay out in the open. My P regalis hasn't been out in any light in 4 months. She is more shy than any burrower I own. She hides in her cork tube all the time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
True, no guarantee, however my A. geniculata is pretty showy and is always out in the open. I'll stick with tarantulas and you can keep the frogs and lizards. I am thinking seriously about an A. versicolor.
My nocturnal frogs are out more than my nocturnal Ts hah. A versi are great, even the males are pretty IME. You can see some gorgeous purples on them.

Having raised many different types of Avics, it's a crapshoot if you get a "showcase" T. I don't consider any Avic a "showcase" T, so good luck.

cold blood

Staff member

cold blood

Staff member
Not all Pokies stay out in the open. My P regalis hasn't been out in any light in 4 months. She is more shy than any burrower I own. She hides in her cork tube all the time.
There's an exception to every rule...generally pokies are pretty darn visible most of the time.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I really prefer my versicolors. They are always hanging out in their hammocks where I can see them and they have beautiful coloration throughout their entire lives.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they have beautiful coloration throughout their entire lives
Very true, one of the few that come to mind that do. Hard to find great colors from sling to adult. I like Pumpkin Patches, so for me they count as well, granted their adult colors are already there as TINY slings. I like that too.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Most of my Avics web funnel up and though you can see them in there they are not out and fully visible often. My Pokies are out most often of all the arboreal Ts I have with the P.cam being the second most visible.

I made the P.cam enclosure so she had a Y shaped hollow tube to use as a hide. From most directions light can't get in so she hasn't webbed it up. From one side hole though you can usually see her really well. Also she is out on top her hide and roaming often in the mornings.

I opened the front door and snapped this photo when she was out.

Last edited: