Show me your Megaphobema spp.

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Hello T keepers!

I just wanted to share pictures of my little beauties and see if anyone here is as big fan of the Megaphobema genus as me. For now I own 3 of 4 avaiable in the hobby and they are :

Megaphobema mesomelas -> juvenile (suspect female - waiting for the molt to be sure)

Megaphobema velvetosoma -> sling (voracious eater)

Megaphobema robustum -> sling (she's currently in a pre-molt)

I'm really curious how the 4th one in the hobby Megaphobema peterklaasi looks like as a sling and what's her growth rate etc.

All of them need a bit different care with high humidity level and low temepertures how You keep yours?

So if anyone here is an Megaphobema maniac ;) - share some pictures and knowledge about keeping them - like always sorry if my English is terrible it's not my primary language.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have an adult female Megaphobema mesomelas and absolutely love her. She's stunning. Some pics and a quick feeding video.

I keep her substrate wet and temperature around 65f.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
anyone here is as big fan of the Megaphobema genus as me
That would be yes.In fact,i have a corner basement area dedicated to Megas.Because its in the upper 60,s to 70 during
the day,low 60,s at night.Ive posted a few of mine before,but when I get going ill grab somemore pics today.

Attachments

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Those are some stunning specimens! How is with the avaiability of that genus in where are You from (question to all). Here in Poland where I'm from the most rare are velvetosoma and peterklaasi wich is still missing in my collection. They all are queit expensive but totally worth it.

I also think that M. velvetosoma is very underrated T in the hobby. There's a Tarantula dealer here that ships international so if someone is interested in buying here's the link there are still 4 in stock : http://www.spidersonline.pl/en_US/c/Megaphobema/128

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Here in the US,robustums are fairly common.
then,mesomelas,fairly rare,and pricey
velvetosoma/peterklaasi,very rare.

I have found,in my experience,they will all lose their feeding response if keep to warm
much above 72 F.They will also hide much of the time if kept to warm.
And will show a stress stance,almost like the beginnings of a death curl.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
One of my fav. NW T's genus. They are amazing and it's incredible how much underestimated they were for years... I'm happy to notice that the genus, today, is more appreciated :-s

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Those are some stunning specimens! How is with the avaiability of that genus in where are You from (question to all). Here in Poland where I'm from the most rare are velvetosoma and peterklaasi wich is still missing in my collection. They all are queit expensive but totally worth it.

I also think that M. velvetosoma is very underrated T in the hobby. There's a Tarantula dealer here that ships international so if someone is interested in buying here's the link there are still 4 in stock : http://www.spidersonline.pl/en_US/c/Megaphobema/128
Careful when advertising for US buyers, it takes a looooot of money to get the necessary paperwork to legally import them in the US.
That being said, M.robustum is definitely on the current wishlist. I love how different they are carewise from other Theraphosidae.
@mack1855 they literally show a stresspose? Wow, that is good info to know, thank you for sharing :).
I love the size of these species/genus as well. Bulky and large :).

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Careful when advertising for US buyers, it takes a looooot of money to get the necessary paperwork to legally import them in the US.
That being said, M.robustum is definitely on the current wishlist. I love how different they are carewise from other Theraphosidae.
@mack1855 they literally show a stresspose? Wow, that is good info to know, thank you for sharing :).
I love the size of these species/genus as well. Bulky and large :).
I call it a stresspose.Nothing scientific,or sure.Instead of the normal extended legs,i have observed raising of the
body off the substate,and the legs pulled in towards the body.

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Great info :) and about the shop it's not mine - it belongs to a breeder in my country wich I highly recomend :) I'm sure he has all the papers. About the genus we're discussing I would really like to get the last one Megaphobema peterklaasi. Anyone has this particular species?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I call it a stresspose.Nothing scientific,or sure.Instead of the normal extended legs,i have observed raising of the
body off the substate,and the legs pulled in towards the body.
Nevertheless, valuable info :)

Great info :) and about the shop it's not mine - it belongs to a breeder in my country wich I highly recomend :) I'm sure he has all the papers. About the genus we're discussing I would really like to get the last one Megaphobema peterklaasi. Anyone has this particular species?
I've never even seen them for sale, the velvetosoma neither, come to think of it.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Its not a matter of him having the paper work. The person purchases them also has to have appropriate paperwork and import permits. The seller isn't really the one who has a chance to get caught and fined here its the buyer.

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe I saw recently on FB that someone has a decent sized breeding group of M. peterklaasi, so cross you fingers for success.
Did anybody ever manage to breed M. teceae?

Kenley

Arachnopeon
I never even saw a proper photo of M. teceae and about breeding none of the Polish breeders here had it they once had M. peterklaasi but unfortunetely they were all sold before I noticed them :(

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
All of them need a bit different care with high humidity level and low temepertures how You keep yours?
Well, M mesomelas need low temps, that's for sure. But M robustum, for instance, don't need low temps at all: they come from a very different area and have to be kept at the same temps as other tropical spp. (23C - 28C).

I share your interest in this genus, thanks for your input!

Kenley

Arachnopeon
Another great info thank You all for sharing You're opinions and informations about this genus I find it very interesting to dig even deeper about my favourite T genus ;) with other hobbyst's!

And Yes I heard that M. robustum ain't that "alergic" to warmth but some did say she is like other Megaphobema's and to just be sure I keep mine in room temperture with high humidity and she seems to do very well.

About Megaphobema mesomelas I heard from many people that good ventilation is the key. They need a clean and well ventilated tank of course with high humidity. I never personally had problems with my specimen I have her since tiny sling (her 1st molt). Always adding some sphagnum moss for better humidity and keep her tank clean out of every leftoovers etc. Also I clean her water dish more often than my other Tarantulas.

That's my baby when I got her :) her current picture is on top of this post :) Trash picture but it's the only one I have left from her sling age.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Another great info thank You all for sharing You're opinions and informations about this genus I find it very interesting to dig even deeper about my favourite T genus ;) with other hobbyst's!

And Yes I heard that M. robustum ain't that "alergic" to warmth but some did say she is like other Megaphobema's and to just be sure I keep mine in room temperture with high humidity and she seems to do very well.

About Megaphobema mesomelas I heard from many people that good ventilation is the key. They need a clean and well ventilated tank of course with high humidity. I never personally had problems with my specimen I have her since tiny sling (her 1st molt). Always adding some sphagnum moss for better humidity and keep her tank clean out of every leftoovers etc. Also I clean her water dish more often than my other Tarantulas.

That's my baby when I got her :) her current picture is on top of this post :) Trash picture but it's the only one I have left from her sling age.

I have an army of springtails in my my girl and leave everything for them. I even feed them if the T hasn't been fed for a while.