Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Show me your large beetles

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by AngryMothNoises, Apr 18, 2018.

1. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Any idea on what you're going to sell them for, so I can figure how much saving I'll have to do if I even have a shot at getting some? :angelic:

2. BeetleExperienc

BeetleExperienc Arachnoknight Old Timer

"Yes" on the first two, not too much on the "invasive" part, that is what they are trying to keep from happening.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BeetleExperienc

BeetleExperienc Arachnoknight Old Timer

PidderPeets - PM sent..

4. Phalacrognathus muelleri is legal now

5. Ajohnson5263

Ajohnson5263 Arachnosquire

USA
    When did that happen?

6. The whole USA? Or just California? Cause I remember seeing somewhere that Lucanidae are legal in Cali

7. NathanJBoob

NathanJBoob Arachnosquire

USA
    Here are some shots of my Lucanus elaphus project. A friend gave me a bunch of wild collected females last year and they blessed me with piles of eggs! Most of the larvae are still feeding and growing. I think most if not all will pupate before the year is through. Interestingly, my main interest for over 20 years was Saturniid moths. I never would have thought I'd become so into these beetles! I also have a large colony of Dynastes tityus going. I'll post some photos of those soon too.
    0907182043a.jpg 0303181742a.jpg 0326182224.jpg 0728170142.jpg 0906181538a.jpg 0906182345a.jpg image.jpg 0907180027.jpg 0907182053a.jpg QataQatarr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Do you happen to have a care sheet on how to keep them? Some one said in the past here that they are tricky to breed and raise, is that true?

9. NathanJBoob

USA
    I don't have a care sheet on these of my own. I did a lot of research before I got the females. I found them to be very easy. The larvae are a little picky when it comes to substrate. I'm fortunate to have easy access to the right sub for them though and I really didn't have any real issues.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sander DM

Sander DM Arachnopeon

Collected this rhinoceros beetle in the wild today. received_2293442174210649.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sander DM

Sander DM Arachnopeon

IMG_20181012_182649.jpg I collected this one as well in the same area. Anyone know if this is the female? It has the same coloration and made the same sound.

12. I want buy some Goliathus L1/L2 if possible, how to contact you? And do you also sell
    Fermented sawdust? Please let me know, Thanks a lot!

13. Best way to tell is just look the species up, or if the male mates with her

Edit: just realised the post was made last year

14. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoangel Active Member

A0D871AD-2D0F-465E-9B02-9C5E74BA5070.jpeg 8F0CAF6E-B9A5-430C-8018-35503FE87B4B.jpeg Some of my D. Tityus larvae, one of them’s a pupa. Got them from a wild caught female I collected locally, I also have a bunch of Grapevine beetle larvae that I also collected from a female caught at my porch light.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mantisfan101

8E110445-4B23-4B63-8337-12070779B3B4.jpeg
    Pelidnota punctata larvae, all collected from a female from my porch light:)
    2E18DA8E-55D7-4FD1-96B9-9E0798320081.jpeg The Pride of my collection, my 3 male D. Tityus larvae

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tarzanus

Tarzanus Arachnopeon

Wow, these are fat. You fry one and two people can get fed. :)

17. NathanJBoob

USA
    Have you weighed your tityus larvae? They look like nice ones!

18. mantisfan101

Nope, not yet, but by the looks of it I’m estimating that they’d be small to medium sized males since I ran out of substrate for a few weeks. One of the females pupated and these guys are nowhere near pupating, they just keep getting fatter and fatter.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NathanJBoob

USA
    I also collect my tityus stock from Maryland. Good luck with them!

20. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

Wooo! hubbahubba, hope that little puppy makes it. I like beetles. I like beetles and the saturniids(moths) and a few other things. good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.